Default Unknown piping in new construction

Took a walk around a newly house and saw this pipe with a yellow polypropylene line and another rope sticking out.

This was near the lateral electrical service entrance to the home which is to the right of itphp0AzUs4AM.jpg.

What is this?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Unknown piping in new construction

It's a spare conduit for someone. In our neighborhood is was installed for phone and CATV, neither of which have ever put their service underground. The rope is to be used either to pull the wire, or to pull the larger rope in which will then be used to pull the wire.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Potter View Post
    Took a walk around a newly house and saw this pipe with a yellow polypropylene line and another rope sticking out.

This was near the lateral electrical service entrance to the home which is to the right of itphp0AzUs4AM.jpg.

What is this?
    Thanks Jim.

I thought it was something unfinished, but couldn't think what was missing since everything required seemed to be in place. Phone/CATV makes since.

I would have thought it would have been capped in some way until used.

Matt Bezanson Guest

New kind of underground feeder cable. It's polypropylene to resist polyestermites!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Potter View Post

What is this?
    I concur that this is a run for future use. I custom homes I have seen a lot of this with up to 3 inch conduits. Runs for future landscape low/high voltage, runs for future outbuilding power and even for main runs of sprinkler lines and control wires (especially common under concrete driveways, patios etc). If there is nothing in it, there is usually no code regarding your inspection. Since you don't know the use and the trench is filled it is hard to say whether the future use will be to depth of code etc.
    On can note the existence and state that if it was not on a permit and inspected it may not meet any specific code for a given future use.

Here in FLorida, the fiber optic companies REFUSE to install at required depths. They install only a couple inches deep and forget it (easy to dig sand and they still wond do it right). I had to make a run just like that for my fiber optic (I went 16" deep in conduit) as it kept popping up and being mowed. Always thier fault and extremely expensive for them to repair!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Jeanis View Post
    Here in FLorida, the fiber optic companies REFUSE to install at required depths. They install only a couple inches deep and forget it (easy to dig sand and they still wond do it right). I had to make a run just like that for my fiber optic (I went 16" deep in conduit) as it kept popping up and being mowed. Always thier fault and extremely expensive for them to repair!
    The don't bury telephone or cable deep enough here in Ohio either. Their solution is to just not charge you when you accidentally cut it. Shortsighted in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason V. Advani View Post
    Shortsighted in my opinion...
    If there was some way to prove it and bring it to the attention of each state's public utilities commissions then we could do two things
    1. Have them MEET CODE
    2. Reduce all future income by the expected value of the labor and material for repair of non-compliant installations, make them pay fom thier own money, not ours.

If there was some way to prove it and bring it to the attention of each state's public utilities commissions then we could do two things
    1. Have them MEET CODE
    2. Reduce all future income by the expected value of the labor and material for repair of non-compliant installations, make them pay fom thier own money, not ours.
    Interesting. Tough thing is, it is tough to prove a negative. I suppose the right thing to do would be to call them out on it each and every time and make them comply. Unfortunately, though, most people don't know any better. I've never looked, though, is this issue even covered in the NEC?

Here in FLorida, the fiber optic companies REFUSE to install at required depths.
    What is the required depth for underground fiber optic cables for communication and broadband?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRHammond View Post
    By looking at the image I can say that it is not properly constructed so It is very difficult to know whether it is constructed for what purpose.
    Virginia, I have to ask.... are you an inspector? You apparently have a lot of time on your hands to make comments on so many posts in such a short amount of time. But I have to say, some of your posts make very little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What is the required depth for underground fiber optic cables for communication and broadband?
    Jerry,
    You are correct that this is a question. In Dallas the city imspector required 18 inches for My job's communications install. Ths happens to mirror the Tabe 830.47 requirements for Network-Powered Broad Band Communications Systems Minimum Cover. The question is does fiber optic meet the definition of that code?

In another post somewhere in the past someone stated that regardless of depth, it must be placed deep enough and in a manner that will not allow damage to the cable from normal activity, That would be cars driving over it, rototillers, shovels and other activity. Fiber optic is supposed to be a "permanent" installation.