Default Venting a dryer to chimney

I so enjoy reading some of the things that others find while serving the public. Today was a special day when I was in the basement and saw this vent for the gas dryer going into the ash dump of the chimney. The metal work appears to be done rather well. The plastic dryer vent fit nicely over the metal piping.
    For those of you who may be wondering whether or not this is an active wood burning fireplace the answer is "Yes". The homeowner does use this regularly in the winter.
    I just chalk this up as another great idea that was not fully vetted prior to implementation.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Tim Fuller
    Fuller Home Inspection

Default Re: Venting a dryer to chimney

I would say that reaches about 30 stages of wonderful. Got to love it!

Are you sure that they did not have a small forge in the upstairs fireplace and they were using the dryer as an draft inducer to keep the coal burning hot?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

So how many times in a day do you ask yourself, what were they thinking? So often I see where it would have been cheaper and easier to do it right versus the way they decided.

"Not fully vetted", you say?
    The animal that did that doesn't deserve a trip to the vet.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

In my working career I have seen so many things like this that I am no longer surprised by human ingenuity. It is just another one of those things that make me laugh. Then I try to explain why this needs to be fixed with a straight face.

Tim Fuller
    Fuller Home Inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Staudt View Post
    So how many times in a day do you ask yourself, what were they thinking? So often I see where it would have been cheaper and easier to do it right versus the way they decided.
    My son, at ten years old, read something like this and said he thought the saying was just missing punctuation. It's not "What were you thinking?"; it's "What? Were you thinking?"

Marshall Brown Guest

When you think something is fool proof you have forgotten how truly ingenious fools are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fuller View Post
    In my working career I have seen so many things like this that I am no longer surprised by human ingenuity. It is just another one of those things that make me laugh. Then I try to explain why this needs to be fixed with a straight face.
    It's "McGuyver's" Fault !