Default Condensate Pump Discharge

The pump is on the lower level. It is for air conditioning condensate only. The discharge point is into the vent in the attic space. The condensate is on the output side of the blower wheel. The conventional wisdom is that it shouldn't be directly connected to the sewer vent. My question is what is the down side? I'm trying to think of some scenario. It's not going to back up sewage to this point, or there is something crazy going on. Any air flow from the tube into the pump will escape out the top openings on the pump, as the blower is pushing air out of the pump. There is a trap on the condensate drain line. I guess they could add another trap where the drain line ties into the PVC.

So, before I tell my client that it's wrong, what is our worst case scenario?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jim Robinson; 08-25-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: drag and drop not working
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Condensate Pump Discharge

Just testing with a reply to this post.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Just testing with a reply to this post.
    Brian's post is probably better than mine, but here is what I was going to say;

#1. Why did they go to so much trouble to send water to the city system to be processed? If it is a/c condensate, send it to a favorite plant or tree at the exterior (last I checked you are not in a wetland state).

#2. Even though there are traps between the air handler and the sewer, why take the risk? Remember the Legionaries thing?

JMHO

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Vern,
    Have you ever looked inside one of those condensate pumps. They are disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Vern,
    Have you ever looked inside one of those condensate pumps. They are disgusting.
    Jim said the pump is on the lower level, probably can do away with the pump and gravity it to the exterior, besides I wasn't suggesting they drink it.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I see AC condensate drain lines from attic mounted air handlers regularly exhausting improperly. I've seen the same configuration Jim posted, I've seen a hole drilled in the soffit bay fascia board and the discharge line routed to the exterior roof gutter, I've seen the discharge line exhausting onto a roof surface. I simply tell the buyer the setup is wrong and document it calling for repairs.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I just saw the city inspector sign off on a similar installation. I see this type of discharge several times a year. It's not that different than having the discharge going to the in-floor drain.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.