cory nystul Guest

Default What is this? and 2x6 for supports

I was in a crawlspace and came across this white powdery looking substance today. It was found only on the cement that was not covered by vapor barrier. Any ideas what it is?

Second just for my clarification 2x6 are not acceptable for supports correct? This crawlspace was roughly 50% 4x6 and 50% 2x6.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What is this? and 2x6 for supports

The white deposits look like efflorescence, indicating moisture.

The "piers" are wrong, look like temporary supports or added to offset floor bounce.

Dom.

I'm pretty sure the smallest wooden post that should be used is a 6x6, I don't have time to look it up but I'm about 99% sure. Also it needs to be treated wood and needs to have a concrete footing.

The white crystalline material could also be left over mold treatment(boric acid based treatment), but with that big of a pile I doubt that is what it is. What Dom said is mor logical....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Unless there is some major load on the floor the 2x6 support should be fine. However the installation method isn't.
    - does not appear to be attached at the top or bottom
    - appears to be angled instead of vertically straight
    - combine the angle, lack of attachment, floor movement, expansion, contraction, etc and the stud could come loose at some point and just fall over; then the floor starts bouncing again
    - looks like you should also be concentrating on moisture levels and ventilation concerns for that crawl
    - Oregon I'm assuming cold in winter so lack of insulation is another concern
    - any critter droppings in there, always want to mention those to the client

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

"Cement" is the product that builders add to gravel and sand to make "concrete". So unless it is still in a bag, call it concrete.

Sometiomes people will slam in a temporary pier like that to take spring out of the joist. This is done in dining rooms to stop glasses from tinkling when overweight people walk around the table, or in living rooms to support a piano.

So first, look at the span of the joist without the pier to see if that pier is required or just an added crutch.
    Then recommend a proper post on a concrete footing. I have been told the seller simply removed his crummy post. Good, because it wasn't needed and could have become a highway for termites.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    "Cement" is the product that builders add to gravel and sand to make "concrete". So unless it is still in a bag, call it concrete.

Sometiomes people will slam in a temporary pier like that to take spring out of the joist. This is done in dining rooms to stop glasses from tinkling when overweight people walk around the table, or in living rooms to support a piano.

So first, look at the span of the joist without the pier to see if that pier is required or just an added crutch.
    Then recommend a proper post on a concrete footing. I have been told the seller simply removed his crummy post. Good, because it wasn't needed and could have become a highway for termites.
    Looks more like a support for a broken joist! Pretty big crack in the center of that joist.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

And, unless you are actually buying "cement", even the bag with be labeled "concrete" mix.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Looks more like a support for a broken joist! Pretty big crack in the center of that joist.
    Vern, you need a bigger monitor. There's a check in the wood but it is not split.

2 x 6 joists are a poor choice for a floor. It needs a good post. It's a mess, no doubt.

Last edited by John Kogel; 08-27-2014 at 06:38 AM.
    www.allsafehome.ca

Vern, you need a bigger monitor. There's a check in the wood but it is not split.

2 x 6 joists are a poor choice for a floor. It needs a good post. It's a mess, no doubt.
    Odd that the supplemental support would be directly under that check, don't you think?

I'm looking at it on my phone and I see the crack - look at the far right side of the photo where the beam ends at the edge of the photo.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm looking at it on my phone and I see the crack - look at the far right side of the photo where the beam ends at the edge of the photo.
    Actually the line at the right side is a wire. The crack is in the center of the wood, not all the way through to the edge but a sign of possible stress and most likely loss of strength.

Actually the line at the right side is a wire.

Looking at it on my computer and ... you are correct - oops, not a crack.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Odd that the supplemental support would be directly under that check, don't you think?
    Sorry I thought you were seeing the wire as a split. Because I saw it too.

www.allsafehome.ca