Default Propane tank (125# or bigger possibly) storage inside finished basement

Got a call for a house tomorrow and the Realtor was kind enough to give me the heads up on this.

Appears like the owner has propane heated floors and has a small room in the finished basement which house the propane tank, water heater and more.

Although I anticipate a host of issues when I get there, I am trying to find a specific regulation of some sort which addresses indoor storage of propane tanks.

The NFPA 58 has a great diagram addresses exterior positioning, but I can't seem to find anything in black and white against storing it inside.

Any ideas?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Propane tank (125# or bigger possibly) storage inside finished basement

This is from the footnotes of the tank diagram.
    Everything says it has to be separated from any opening into the building which you can't do if it is in the building. You can't even put a tank under a building unless it is at least 50% open.
    I hope this helps, note the reference numbers to NFPA
    Footnote e: Cylinders installed alongside of buildings shall be positioned so that the discharge from the cylinder pressure
    relief device is located as follows: (1) At least 3-ft horizontally away from any building opening that is below the level of such
    discharge. (2) At least 5-ft in any direction away from any exterior source of ignition, opening to direct-vent (sealed
    combustion system) appliances, or mechanical ventilation air intakes. Cylinders shall not be located and installed underneath
    a building unless the space is open to the atmosphere for 50% of its perimeter or more. The distance measured horizontally
    from any point of discharge of a container pressure relief valve to any building opening below the level of such discharge shall
    be in accordance with Table 6.3.9 and Figure I.1(b). (NFPA 58 6.3.7, 6.3.8, and 6.3.9) lp_tank.pdf

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Propane tank (125# or bigger possibly) storage inside finished basement

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Potter View Post
    Got a call for a house tomorrow and the Realtor was kind enough to give me the heads up on this.

Appears like the owner has propane heated floors and has a small room in the finished basement which house the propane tank, water heater and more.

Although I anticipate a host of issues when I get there, I am trying to find a specific regulation of some sort which addresses indoor storage of propane tanks.

The NFPA 58 has a great diagram addresses exterior positioning, but I can't seem to find anything in black and white against storing it inside.

Any ideas?
    Upon further review, I found it. NFPA 58 6.8.1.6 covers it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    This is from the footnotes of the tank diagram.
    Everything says it has to be separated from any opening into the building which you can't do if it is in the building. You can't even put a tank under a building unless it is at least 50% open.
    I hope this helps, note the reference numbers to NFPA
    Footnote e: Cylinders installed alongside of buildings shall be positioned so that the discharge from the cylinder pressure
    relief device is located as follows: (1) At least 3-ft horizontally away from any building opening that is below the level of such
    discharge. (2) At least 5-ft in any direction away from any exterior source of ignition, opening to direct-vent (sealed
    combustion system) appliances, or mechanical ventilation air intakes. Cylinders shall not be located and installed underneath
    a building unless the space is open to the atmosphere for 50% of its perimeter or more. The distance measured horizontally
    from any point of discharge of a container pressure relief valve to any building opening below the level of such discharge shall
    be in accordance with Table 6.3.9 and Figure I.1(b). (NFPA 58 6.3.7, 6.3.8, and 6.3.9) lp_tank.pdf
    Thanks for this Jim.

Most references I found just showed the diagram, but I found a section in the 2008 version that specifically stated what I was looking for and is exactly what you posted.

Sherrill Jeffcoat Guest

The propane service company will not service this tank unless it is 10 feet from the nearest building. Unless this tank can be removed and taken to a filling station, it can't be filled anymore. That has been effective about 3 years. I think it is an EPA regulation. But, check with the local supplier of propane and he will tell you the same thing. They will not even work on any of the gas appliances inside the home unless the tank is moved at least 10 feet from the exterior side of the building.