Thread: Crack Pipe

Default Crack Pipe

Found some drug paraphernalia at todays inspection.

4br 3.5 bath, 2 car garage, full basement 4000 sq ft nicer neighborhood. Squeaky clean surburbia.

Crack pipe resting on the door trim inside the master bedroom closet. House was vacant except for about 20 hangers of clothes in drycleaning bags, a Harley in the garage, and some weight lifting equipment. House was in excellent condition and only 7 years old.

Buyer agreed it was a crack pipe. Mentioned he knew somebody that was a crack user. Agent did not quite know what to do. Asked if it could be used for other drugs besides crack. Seeemd nervous about it. Buyer did not blink. Non-issue for the buyer.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: Crack Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Found some drug paraphernalia at todays inspection.

4br 3.5 bath, 2 car garage, full basement 4000 sq ft nicer neighborhood. Squeaky clean surburbia.

Crack pipe resting on the door trim inside the master bedroom closet. House was vacant except for about 20 hangers of clothes in drycleaning bags, a Harley in the garage, and some weight lifting equipment. House was in excellent condition and only 7 years old.

Buyer agreed it was a crack pipe. Mentioned he knew somebody that was a crack user. Agent did not quite know what to do. Asked if it could be used for other drugs besides crack. Seeemd nervous about it. Buyer did not blink. Non-issue for the buyer.
    Did you test is?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Didn't have a lighter on me...

Bruce,

Just curious, do you call out the fact the doors need to be sealed all 6 sides?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

I was going to ask how you knew it was a crack pipe. I wouldn't have known what a crack pipe was. But then I saw the crack next to the pipe.....

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Thumbs down Re: Crack Pipe

" Agent did not quite know what to do". { Really oop: }

Agent didn't want to share his or her drugs ?

- - - Updated - - -

" Agent did not quite know what to do". { Really }

Agent didn't want to share his or her drugs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I was going to ask how you knew it was a crack pipe. I wouldn't have known what a crack pipe was. But then I saw the crack next to the pipe.....
    It's Just a Drywall Tape Seam!!!

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Since you saw that pipe, you should probably recommend screening for meth. Where there is crack, meth is often right behind.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    It's Just a Drywall Tape Seam!!!
    So it's not a crack pipe?

I haven't heard of a tape seam pipe before ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"Oh that? Some guy was helping us move. Needed some quick cash. Said he was mayor of Toronto. Where is Toronto anyways? Up by New York somewhere?"

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I guess a legitimate question would be, "Does the crack pipe come with the house?" And by extension, do the Harley and weight equipment? I was told that if a sellers unintentionally leaves items behind, state law may dictate their disposition. A recent item popped up in Georgia where the seller forgot to empty their wine fridge. 72 bottles of decent vintage. Buyers called Realtor, who called sellers, who came over and got it. I was told that it's not automatically the buyer's property in a case like that.

But in the case you discussed, it's more evident the items were left behind and abandoned. Seems to me the buyer should have possession of the other items. If I had bought the place and found that, I'd toss the crack pipe after triple wrapping in a garbage bag and perhaps busting it up to make sure it couldn't be reused. As someone coming through on a look-see...well, I don't quite know how I'd react.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Since you saw that pipe, you should probably recommend screening for meth. Where there is crack, meth is often right behind.

You actually raise a very interesting issue , screaming for toxic chemicals in a house (like what is used for the manufacturing of Meth. ) Does anyone actually have any experience with this and how you go about screening a property for this.

I ask because there is a Red Roof in (or something like that) where a meth lab was discovered , then I asked myself - how was this cleaned up ? what kind of shape was it in after and what risk was there to an occupant , all very interesting questions and possibly a great risk for consumers.

Just because they are making something illegal doesn't mean they have be slobs or leave a visible trace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    You actually raise a very interesting issue , screaming for toxic chemicals in a house (like what is used for the manufacturing of Meth. ) Does anyone actually have any experience with this and how you go about screening a property for this.
    You can buy some meth testing kits and charge for testing, but INMO, I think you should probably get some special training for that. I recommend outside labs do the testing.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Cool Re: Crack Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson Beisel View Post
    I guess a legitimate question would be, "Does the crack pipe come with the house?" And by extension, do the Harley and weight equipment? I was told that if a sellers unintentionally leaves items behind, state law may dictate their disposition. A recent item popped up in Georgia where the seller forgot to empty their wine fridge. 72 bottles of decent vintage. Buyers called Realtor, who called sellers, who came over and got it. I was told that it's not automatically the buyer's property in a case like that.

But in the case you discussed, it's more evident the items were left behind and abandoned. Seems to me the buyer should have possession of the other items. If I had bought the place and found that, I'd toss the crack pipe after triple wrapping in a garbage bag and perhaps busting it up to make sure it couldn't be reused. As someone coming through on a look-see...well, I don't quite know how I'd react.
    Does XXX come with the house? Don't know and don't care as a home inspector. Refrigerators are considered personal property per Ga. Law. Sometimes fridges stay, sometimes they go with the seller. Window treatments stay or go. Sellers often offer furniture, pool tables, etc to the buyer. That is a job for the agents to wrangle over.

I reported the pipe because illegal drugs are the type of thing buyers later call back about. I just wanted to make sure it was documented that I saw it and pointed it out to the buyer and agent. Who owns it and how it will be disposed of is not my concern.

First time I found obvious drug equipment during an inspection and I just wanted to show off in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    "Oh that? Some guy was helping us move. Needed some quick cash. Said he was mayor of Toronto. Where is Toronto anyways? Up by New York somewhere?"
    I can't stop laughing. Good one John.

- - - Updated - - -

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.