Thread: Gas meter

Clay White Guest

Default Gas meter

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Clay White; 01-02-2008 at 11:18 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Re: Gas meter

I'm pretty sure that ground clearance is needed, but as I am not home, I don't have anything right now to back that up. I'm sure J. P. will be in to provide code reference.

This is some typical gas meter clearance information, you may find some slight variation from it, but it should be close to correct all over.

I forgot who posted it just the other day, but it is similar to something I had years ago, so things haven't changed much in that regard.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Clay
    You could report something like this:
    " While I don't, and did not, inspect the gas meter installation, I did notice that..."

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Cool Re: Gas meter

FYI, the location and installation of gas meters is regulated by the federal DOT unless the meter is located inside a building, in which case the gas code takes over. The "point of delivery", which marks the separation of jurisdiction is the nut on the right hand bull horn coming off the top of the meter on NG or the discharge from the second stage regulator on LP gas systems.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay White View Post
    Maybe say? Bottom of gas meter in contact with ground. Check with your local gas company for properly clearances as well as any other defects relating to the gas meter installation.
    I didn't "inspect" gas meter either, but I would write them up as being partially buried or partially submerged (if the ground was wet, and, in South Florida with its overall poor drainage the ground was always wet) and advise my client to call the gas company to come out and verify proper height *ABOVE GROUND* of the gas meter and other clearances required.

Some clients did and the gas company would address the issue most of the time, other times the gas company just 'signed off' on the installation (I always told my clients to have the gas company provide a letter on their letter head stating that the installation was acceptable to them as installed, then attach a photo to the letter with the gas company signing off on the photo. Yeah, sometimes the gas company would do that, and it was their liability anyway - my client just had proof that the issue was raised and the gas company accepted the installation - they could not later say that that was not the installation they signed off on.

Many times, when the gas company said they would issue the letter, the balked at signing off on the photo - and raised the meter instead.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Exclamation Re: Gas meter

For those in snow country, the vent on the meter's regulator must be kept clear of snow difts. Low lying areas showing evidence of flooding or exposure to traffic without crash protection would also be red flags.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.