Default Need help identifying this thing

Hi All,

Saw this at a townhouse inspection this morning and not sure what it is. 2 holes with screens. I only posted this here because it is covered with a receptacle cover plate.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Need help identifying this thing

Looks like one of those brass floor outlets with slotted screw on/off covers. I don't see screens, but it,looks like a screen pattern of sorts.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Here's a close-up of one. There's no slot. The screen is set behind another plate of some sort.

Man, this was one of those inspections where the buyer brought about 8 family members and friends and all were asking questions. I got thrown off of my game and really should have pulled the cover plate and investigated more while I was there.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Never hurts to say "I don't know, but I'll see if I can find out."... I have said it many times over the past 20 years I have been at this gig. My SWAG after seeing the close up is that it is part of an alarm system. Might be a movement or sound sensor.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Two tiny speakers.
    I would report that there are 2 tiny speakers.
    Hey, we can't know everything.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

My guess is an old motion sensor. I have seen them before with red lenses. I think my father also had an old Heathkit motion sensor alarm with screens over the sensors.

Not sure but many years ago there was a ultrasonic detector similar to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    My guess is an old motion sensor. I have seen them before with red lenses. I think my father also had an old Heathkit motion sensor alarm with screens over the sensors.
    I did not see your post when I pressed reply.
    Red lens would have been active infrared detectors(photo beams).
    Screens would have been ultrasound.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Payson View Post
    Here's a close-up of one. There's no slot. The screen is set behind another plate of some sort.

Man, this was one of those inspections where the buyer brought about 8 family members and friends and all were asking questions. I got thrown off of my game and really should have pulled the cover plate and investigated more while I was there.

My question to you - Did YOU learn anything from this inspection ?

Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    Jack when too many members come to a inspection I have a briefing and give them a pad and pencil to write any question and ask to hold them to the end. Normally, they live me to the inspection and most of the time they have nothing to ask. Hopefully this may help.
    best wishes
    fidel

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Never hurts to say "I don't know, but I'll see if I can find out."... I have said it many times over the past 20 years I have been at this gig. My SWAG after seeing the close up is that it is part of an alarm system. Might be a movement or sound sensor.
    Yep, told them I didn't know but would do some research. I'm never afraid to admit when I don't know something

Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    Lesson learned - Stick with your routine and don't try to accommodate the masses

Quote Originally Posted by fidel gonzales View Post
    Jack when too many members come to a inspection I have a briefing and give them a pad and pencil to write any question and ask to hold them to the end. Normally, they live me to the inspection and most of the time they have nothing to ask. Hopefully this may help.
    best wishes
    fidel
    A very good Idea, thanks Fidel

------------------------------

Spoke with some other inspectors and they suggested that is was an older style ultrasonic emitter used to repel rodents. I reported that this was my suspicion, but suggested that they ask the Association for further information.

Thanks for all your help