Sky Jones Guest

Default Car fuse is furnace?

Can anybody a good reason why there is a car fuse in this COLEMAN electric furnace?

DSCN3991.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Car fuse is furnace?

did you call Coleman?

.........pretty common in these (and Miller-Nordyne) units - this fuse was 3amp? In a manufactured home?........Greg

In my opinion you are beyond the normal home inspection and if anything looks out of the ordinary you should recommend further evaluation by HVAC contractor. The fuse connection does not look factory installed but should not be a problem as long as the value is correct.

With that being said, I think the buyer would be more interested in why the second heat strip in the picture is not connected!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

that type of car fuse was very common in older furnaces 1980's, 1990's, and some sooner
    The 3 amp used to blow a lot very easily, especially in older houses with less than upgraded electrical. We used to replace them with 5 amp and then no more problem.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Sky Jones Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    .........pretty common in these (and Miller-Nordyne) units - this fuse was 3amp? In a manufactured home?........Greg
    Its a stick built home from the late 90's.

dfg.jpg What do you think of the wire covering used in the furnace.

These types of fuses are commonly found in furnaces. They are used in cars and many other products.

Yes, it s a car fuse, they are used on the low-voltage side of air handlers to protect the LV-transformer from being burned up when you miss-wire or short out the thermostat wiring. They are usually 3 or 5 amp fuses. They are Still used in brand new air handlers.

Just for clarification.
    That is not a "Car Fuse", it is a "Blade Fuse".
    You will often see them is cars, but they are also used in other things.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

As a former A/C tech these fuses are very common in furnaces. If it did not have one we would in install a fuse to protect the transformer against burn-out. A cheap solution to saving a transformer.

DSCN3991.jpg[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

As a former A/C tech these fuses are very common in furnaces. If it did not have one we would in install a fuse to protect the transformer against burn-out. A cheap solution to saving a transformer.

DSCN3991.jpg[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

DSCN3991.jpg[/QUOTE]

My recollection is that those fuses, like other fuses, have a rating for their tested and approved use.

Many of the tubular glass fuses have a 250v rating along with their amp rating, while others have a 12v rating along with their amp rating.

The plastic fuses, as I recall, have a 12v rating along with their amp rating.

The voltage for transformers used in a/c systems are 16v or 24v, as I recall (I could be wrong on this as my recollection is from back in the 1970s and 1980s). Unless 12v transformers are used, and if those fuses have a 12v rating, those fuses would not be rated for that use. Too many unknowns to make a definite statement as to whether or not they are OK.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    My recollection is that those fuses, like other fuses, have a rating for their tested and approved use.

Many of the tubular glass fuses have a 250v rating along with their amp rating, while others have a 12v rating along with their amp rating.

The plastic fuses, as I recall, have a 12v rating along with their amp rating.

The voltage for transformers used in a/c systems are 16v or 24v, as I recall (I could be wrong on this as my recollection is from back in the 1970s and 1980s). Unless 12v transformers are used, and if those fuses have a 12v rating, those fuses would not be rated for that use. Too many unknowns to make a definite statement as to whether or not they are OK.
    The lowest voltage rating I am aware of is 32v.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    The lowest voltage rating I am aware of is 32v.
    Guess I will need to look at some fuses I have in the garage and see what their rating is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/au..._datasheet.pdf

Most were 32v some were up to 58v

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thumbs down Re: Car fuse is furnace?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    This entire conversation about proper fuse, use of fuse, rating of fuse is way off mark. The fact you identified a "fuse" in use was a good catch - the REAL culprit here is the fuse was simply used as a convenient BY PASS of a thermal high limit (see the ceramic limit terminals on the heater bank). Some hack has deleted the safety limit in this furnace - SHUT it down until repairs are completed by someone with a lic.

They both serve the same function, but will likely have different ratings. Auto fuses are premised on having on or around 12 Vdc, whereas household appliances, if they have a fuse, will be based on 110 Vac (or 220 Vac, in Europe).

What kind of fuse does a furnace use?
    Most new furnaces have a 3-5 amp fuse on the low voltage side to protect the circuit board and transformer from a possible short or overload. If someone were to put too many accessories on the existing transformer the fuse should protect it.

find best heat pump, best heat pump rank, click here