Cory Bates Guest

Default Unkown hole is fake beams

I was inspecting an A frame today and found these unknown holes in the beams. The beams are fake but the holes are not any ideas what they might be for? The one in the sheet rock appears to be a nut.
    DSCN3998.jpgDSCN3999.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Unkown hole is fake beams

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Bates View Post
    I was inspecting an A frame today and found these unknown holes in the beams. The beams are fake but the holes are not any ideas what they might be for? The one in the sheet rock appears to be a nut.
    DSCN3998.jpgDSCN3999.jpg
    Cory,

These McMaster-Carr were probably added by HO to attach or string decorative items.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Cory,

These McMaster-Carr were probably added by HO to attach or string decorative items.
    The common name for those is "tee-nuts" and "T-nuts":
    - Shop Standard (SAE) Tee Nuts at Lowes.com!
    - Tee Nuts - Nuts - Fasteners - Hardware - Tools & HardwareÂ*at The Home Depot
    - T-Nuts - Bolt Depot

Unless there is a matching and corresponding hole on the other side so a bolt can be installed through that beam ... I wouldn't hang anything from them as there is nothing to hold them in place (other than a through bolt through the fake beam from the other side).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Unless there is a matching and corresponding hole on the other side so a bolt can be installed through that beam ... I wouldn't hang anything from them as there is nothing to hold them in place (other than a through bolt through the fake beam from the other side).
    Probably Why they are ( pulled out ) missing in the photo.
    *even with a bolt thru a fake ( polyurethane) beam anything supported heavier than a few ounces would tear thru.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Bates View Post
    The one in the sheet rock appears to be a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens
    to attach or string decorative items.

Probably Why they are ( pulled out ) missing in the photo.
    *even with a bolt thru a fake ( polyurethane) beam anything supported heavier than a few ounces would tear thru.
    They are, or at least one or some are, in drywall - not sure, but I take it as meaning drywall fake beam.

Lightweight decorative items shouldn't pull thought urethane fake beams, would probably pull the fake beams down before the foam allowed a bolt to pull through. At least based on the fake urethane beams I remember from years ago.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lightweight decorative items shouldn't pull thought urethane fake beams, would probably pull the fake beams down before the foam allowed a bolt to pull through.

At least based on the fake urethane beams I remember from years ago.
    Yeah Well they don't make Fake Beams like they use too! Architectural Foam Shapes

Yeah Well they don't make Fake Beams like they use too!
    Is ANYTHING still made "like they used to make it"? Probably not.

The old fake beam used to be medium-density or high-density urethane foam, The architectural appliques in that link are now made from expanded polystyrene foam (like used for cheap ice coolers).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com