Default Unfamiliar configuration

phpIKjryMAM.jpgphpcMCG8FAM.jpgphpCK2aWPAM.jpgCan anyone cast some light on this boiler venting configuration. I have been doing this a while and have never seen this before ... Using the old lighter trick, this vent is definitely pulling air when the boiler is running.
    Thanks

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Unfamiliar configuration

Are you referring to the barometric damper?

It regulates draft for efficiency. Some are made for bas fired appliances.

Dom.

The barometric draft controls used for gas-fired appliances swing both ways. They do not have a stop like a damper for an oil-fired system. I seldom see them. Were often used when a power gas burner was retrofitted on an oil-fired boiler.

(bold is mine)
    Anyone concerned about the part of the label which states "FOR GAS - FIRED COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIAL FUEL - BURNING EQUIPMENT"?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    (bold is mine)
    Anyone concerned about the part of the label which states "FOR GAS - FIRED COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIAL FUEL - BURNING EQUIPMENT"?
    I did see that and wondered why. The installation looks like it could be commercial, but not necessarily.

Whats the difference if its marked commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Whats the difference if its marked commercial?
    If it is installed in a residential application and is not listed for installation in a residential application ... could be a lot ... or it simply could be that someone will write a nice big check with many zeros and a couple of commas with some number in front of them simply because they installed a product not listed for that use.

As far as its operation in residential or commercial - I doubt that it can see the application it is in so it likely behaves the same way ... but that wasn't your question - or was it?

M1301.3 Installation of materials.
    All materials used shall be installed in strict accordance with the standards under which the materials are accepted and approved. In the absence of such installation procedures, the manufacturer’s instructions shall be followed. Where the requirements of referenced standards or manufacturer’s instructions do not conform to minimum provisions of this code, the provisions of this code shall apply.

M1307.1 General.
    Installation of appliances shall conform to the conditions of their listing and label and the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The manufacturer’s operating and installation instructions shall remain attached to the appliance.

M1401.1 Installation.
    Heating and cooling equipment and appliances shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions and the requirements of this code.

G2426.5 (502.5) Installation.
    Vent systems shall be sized, installed and terminated in accordance with the vent and appliance manufacturer’s installation instructions and Section G2427.

... and other code sections - all of which are there with the intent for the resulting installation to be a safe installation.

If it is listed and labeled for one use but is being used for a different use, that is an indication that it was not intended to be used for that other use. And the deeper pockets of the manufacturer have been taken out of the picture, now it is the contractor and their installers ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry
    Some things are for residential use only, and are not listed for commercial use.
    Could the label on this be saying it is ALSO approved for use in commercial?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Jerry
    Some things are for residential use only, and are not listed for commercial use.
    Could the label on this be saying it is ALSO approved for use in commercial?
    Then it would, should, not specify either or specify both residential and commercial/industrial ... at least that is the way I read - all other labels specifying commercial mean that the item is not listed or approved for use in residential.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My thinking is it serves the purpose and we don't know if the boiler is a commercial unit, do we?
    Personally speaking I am not sure its an issue worth writing up. If its functioning and required for the boiler and a draft check and combustion analyses has been completed then ... well... you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    My thinking is it serves the purpose and we don't know if the boiler is a commercial unit, do we?
    No we don't ... but ... ... if it is a commercial unit ... it should not be installed in a residential setting as that would not be in accordance to its listing and labeling.

Personally speaking I am not sure its an issue worth writing up. If its functioning and required for the boiler and a draft check and combustion analyses has been completed then ... well... you know...
    I can't say that it is functioning as, to me, "functioning" means it was "installed and being used as it was intended" - and that label indicates to me that it was "not installed/is not being used as it was intended" ... regardless of whether or not there is or is not a proper draft, whether or not there is or is not proper combustion, etc.

A refrigerator, although cold inside, which is turned on its side and is being used as a workbench is not - at least in my opinion - "functioning".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I did a quick Google search and did not see a reason why this would be approved for commercial or industrial use, but maybe there is a good reason. Best practice would be to note this and recommend consulting with the manufacturer. Sometimes I contact the manufacturer or research the issue for the client both as a way to provide good service and as a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    I did a quick Google search and did not see a reason why this would be approved for commercial or industrial use, but maybe there is a good reason. Best practice would be to note this and recommend consulting with the manufacturer. Sometimes I contact the manufacturer or research the issue for the client both as a way to provide good service and as a learning experience.
    Agreed on all points as I found the same thing when I first noticed the commercial and industrial use on the label in the photo and then searched the installation instructions online - but, as you said, "maybe there is a good reason" for it.

I would also search (internet in later years, phone the manufacturer in years with cell phones but no internet hot spots available - newer technology makes some things so easy now) to talk with their technical assistance/engineering departments - most manufacturers' were quite accommodating for questions and calls.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Distributor Accessories : Chimney Fan : Basement Fans : Dryer Booster : Tjernlund Products, Inc.

The only difference I see is the fact its heavy duty
    - double acting for installation on gas fired appliances. It has many practical features including: self-aligning, self-centering rocker bearings, polished chrome adjustment knob, ultra-light sensitivity and rugged, galvanized construction.