Thread: Yellow Water

Default Yellow Water

Customer called me yesterday and asked why he had yellow water in his new home.

The home is 7 years old, pex plumbing , original water heater. He said the yellow was very visible and was only was yellow when the water heater was on. I did the inspection 6 weeks ago.

City water
    He ran the water for an hour and it didn't go away
    Any ideas ?

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-16-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Member Benefits1
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Yellow Water

No ideas. I would tell him to contact the city. They may have been working on the pipes or have had something out of whack on the chemical balance.
    I know of nothing that would cause water discoloration, especially just on the hot. Maybe some contamination that flowed into the heater from the city when the water was first turned on if the heater had been drained/winterized.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

What color water comes out the hose bibbs?

What color water comes out the T&P relief valve?

How long has he been in the home and how long has he had the yellow water?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What color water comes out the hose bibbs?

What color water comes out the T&P relief valve?

How long has he been in the home and how long has he had the yellow water?
    Make sure there are no galvanized piping or fittings in the PEX lines. Sounds like rust in the tank. Does it have a sulfpher smell? After calling the Water Company to see if they can shed light on this situation, if no reasonable explanation is given, I would drain the water heater completely. Fill it part way and drain again. Continue to do this until the yellow goes away. If it doesn't go away, change out the water heater.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sanders Sr. View Post
    Make sure there are no galvanized piping or fittings in the PEX lines. Sounds like rust in the tank. Does it have a sulfpher smell? After calling the Water Company to see if they can shed light on this situation, if no reasonable explanation is given, I would drain the water heater completely. Fill it part way and drain again. Continue to do this until the yellow goes away. If it doesn't go away, change out the water heater.
    Re-reading this post, if you have a rusted part inside the tank where the glass is missing, go ahead and install a new water heater. It could be out of warrantee and worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sanders Sr. View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Re-reading this post, if you have a rusted part inside the tank where the glass is missing, go ahead and install a new water heater. It could be out of warrantee and worn out.
    Yep, if your are not sure of the problem recommend replacement of the part you suspect to be at fault, the sign of a true professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Customer called me yesterday and asked why he had yellow water in his new home.

The home is 7 years old, pex plumbing , original water heater. He said the yellow was very visible and was only was yellow when the water heater was on. I did the inspection 6 weeks ago.

City water
    He ran the water for an hour and it didn't go away
    Any ideas ?
    Maybe the H2oTank is cooking the flourasilicic acid toxic waste they are adding to the water in the name of 'public health'....
    I tend to see rusty yellow and gray/black water in homes or specific fixtures that have been unused/abandoned. Agree w/ Loren; it may be rust in the tank. the oxides from a dormant or otherwise rusty capsule, and other chemicals they pump into the water to "purify it for our drinking pleasure' rather than removing contaminants can affect coloration. Suggest they get a great filter and a plumber.

BWC
    yeah, I'm that guy

1 John 2:15-17
    Rom 6:23
    2 Tim 2:15

Then again, it could just be kids peeing in the City's open reservoirs. Happened in Portland, OR just a few months ago--they completely drained the entire umpteen hundred thousand gallons of water after a video showed up of a teenager taking a long leak into the reservoir.