Default Attic opening requirements question.....

the minimum access opening dimensions for a scuttle entrance to an attic space is only required to attic spaces containing appliances .....correct?
    That is what I am guessing , I searched it and read a few post but and going to search the easier way than reading 400 posts.
    Thanks guys

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Attic opening requirements question.....

Any attic with 30" or more of headroom requires an attic access opening of the minimum size.

The minimum size is required to be larger as required for the removal of the largest appliance in the attic (most, but not all, appliances installed in an attic will fit through the minimum size opening).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

22" x 30" according to my information (or as required for a larger appliance)

From the 2012 IRC: (underlining and bold are mine)
    - SECTION R807 ATTIC ACCESS - - R807.1 Attic access.
    - - - Buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction shall have an attic access opening to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2) and have a vertical height of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater. The vertical height shall be measured from the top of the ceiling framing members to the underside of the roof framing members.
    - - - The rough-framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30 inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in a hallway or other readily accessible location. When located in a wall, the opening shall be a minimum of 22 inches wide by 30 inches high (559 mm wide by 762 mm high). When the access is located in a ceiling, minimum unobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be 30 inches (762 mm) at some point above the access measured vertically from the bottom of ceiling framing members. See Section M1305.1.3 for access requirements where mechanical equipment is located in attics.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com