Bill Burross Guest

Default Tools and Equipment for New Inspectors

I am a new home inspector looking for advice and recommendations on some tools and equipment:
    1. I have a Little Giant 17 ft - 375 lb. capacity;
    2. Do you recommend an extension ladder also. If so, what length?
    3. What do I need for the electrical inspection? Testers - what make, model, etc., how many?
    4. Recommendation on nut driver VS. cordless screwdriver VS. cordless drill?
    5. Digital cameras? Make, model, etc.
    6. Binoculars? Yes or No? If so, what type, power, etc.
    7. Recommend any other tools I should not be without!

Thanks for your input and advice. I appreciate it.
    Bill Burross

OREP Insurance

Hello Bill Burross,

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

If you are a business owner please accept this gift for making your first post: http://www.inspectionreferral.com

If you are a home buyer, seller or DIYer, this gift is for you: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-i...als/member.php

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Tools and Equipment for New Inspectors

Check out the Tools & Equipment Sub-forum. Been discussed endlessly.

Here is a link to one of the various discussions.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ion-tools.html

1. Do you recommend an extension ladder also. If so, what length? How tall is the stock of homes in your area? Most have a 24/28 but some areas need a 32. Others use a 15 telescoping and 17 LG
    2. What do I need for the electrical inspection? Testers - what make, model, etc., how many? At least 2, one to use and one as a backup. $10 one from home center with GFCI test button is usually adequate.
    3. Recommendation on nut driver VS. cordless screwdriver VS. cordless drill? Just one more battery to charge in my opinion. Never carried a cordless tool in 10 years. Screwdriver always work.

1. Digital cameras? Make, model, etc. Waterproof camera for $100-$150. Doesnt really matter make, model, etc.

1. Binoculars? Yes or No? If so, what type, power, etc. Get a good pair. 8x30

1. Recommend any other tools I should not be without! Brain.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 09-28-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Like Bruce indicated, this has been discussed before.
    Since I can reach 99% of the homes in my area with a 17' LG, I don't carry an extension ladder.
    I have a 4 way nut driver that has 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 7/16 in one tool that fits in the palm of my hand. I carry a 6in1 screwdriver and a probing screwdriver as well.
    I do carry a cordless drill, because i like to get things open faster and don't like twisting my wrist so much. Besides, gas oak covers have about a zillion screws.
    I also have a couple moisture meters, a few electrical testers (outlet tester as well as a wiggy).
    Digital thermometer, and a point and shoot thermometer.
    I use 10x binoculars, and a 20x camera.
    I also carry Robogrips, but any kind of pliers type tool will work.

You will get a feel for what you need,a dn whats right to carry all the time, and what to leave in your tool bag. My water pressure gauge stays in the car until I need it, then goes right back.
    I also have a Krawlgear for crawlspaces. Highly recommend if you do a lot of crawling
    There's a lot more.

The Moisture meter should be right up there.
    Flashlight? You need 2 or more.
    A 4 volt cordless driver, no need for larger.
    Sure, bring extra tools for tough spots. I have all the screwdrivers for covers and electrical, but only use them when the cordless can't do it. A claw hammer for opening hatches, might only use it once or twice.
    Tools for cutting through paint and plaster.
    Mirror on a handle.
    Magnet on a handle - when you are starting out, you drop a lot of screws, and they always seem to fall behind freezers or down in wall cavities.
    The magnet can hold screws for you.
    It can ID painted steel pipe, aluminum vs steel windows, metal roofing, stainless vs brushed steel, very handy.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The Moisture meter should be right up there.
    Flashlight? You need 2 or more.
    A 4 volt cordless driver, no need for larger.
    Sure, bring extra tools for tough spots. I have all the screwdrivers for covers and electrical, but only use them when the cordless can't do it. A claw hammer for opening hatches, might only use it once or twice.
    Tools for cutting through paint and plaster.
    Mirror on a handle.
    Magnet on a handle - when you are starting out, you drop a lot of screws, and they always seem to fall behind freezers or down in wall cavities.
    The magnet can hold screws for you.
    It can ID painted steel pipe, aluminum vs steel windows, metal roofing, stainless vs brushed steel, very handy.
    One I have added is the mechanics pick-up tool, the one that looks like a eagles talons when you push the button. It will catch the broken bead chain on ceiling fans to try all speeds of the fan and it can pick out the non-ferrous stuff in the garbage disposal that scares the hell out of you when first turned on.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.