Default Service wires in contact with metal downspout

Here's a picture that is probably familiar to all of us.
    My senses and (my reports) say that this is a potential shock hazard and should be fixed, but I don't have any code reference for this statement.

What code sections would this fall under as a safety hazard.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Service wires in contact with metal downspout

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    My senses and (my reports) say that this is a potential shock hazard and should be fixed, but I don't have any code reference for this statement.

I've seen many service cables with cracks and splits in them so I would say extremely dangerous.

Simply "wiring methods". The service entrance conductors are NOT "free from physical damage" and if in direct contact with any metal part, has the potential of energizing that metal part and anything or anyone in contact with or in close proximity of that energized metal part.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post

The public utility owns the Service Entrance Cable. It appears one of the phase conductors is on the opposite side of the down spout. The utility would not route the conductors around a down spout, so the down spout was inserted between the conductors. Contact the public utility. They have exclusive jurisdiction to maintain these conductors, and correct this problem.

[QUOTE=Jimmy Roberts;248360]The public utility owns the Service Entrance Cable. It appears one of the phase conductors is on the opposite side of the down spout. The utility would not route the conductors around a down spout, so the down spout was inserted between the conductors. Contact the public utility. They have exclusive jurisdiction to maintain these conductors, and correct this problem.[/

Why not re-locate the downspout and seal the existing gutter outlet, no permit or utility co. involvement. Or extend the mast and weatherhead above the roofline and connection to the meter by the utility co. Permit required. Either way, I agree, a fix is appropriate.