Default Photo of Sediment Leg Wanted

When the gas pipe comes up from the floor and then turns horizontally to feed an appliance, it is a bit more tricky to install a sediment leg so that the gas is forced to change direction. I see lots of legs where the gas passes thru the top of Tee and hope the debris and mositure drop into the leg.

So I am looking for a photo or diagram showing a correctly installed sediment leg where the pipe rises to meet the appliance. Attached is a photo of an incorrect installation. Looking for an example of a correct installation for pipes oriented in this general configuration.

Yes , I know there is difference between a drip leg and sediment leg. Drip legs collect moisture while sediment legs collect debris. Drips legs are generally near the meter while sediment legs are at the appliance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: Photo of Sediment Leg Wanted

This is from a quick google search, not a photo but good explanation diagram.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 08-10-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added verbiage
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Chapter 24 - Fuel Gas

Drawing in IRC - see 2419, then scroll down.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim, Thank you. What did you enter as search criteria?

Jerry. The reference is for a pipe in the other orientation.

The photo is a "running trap" and is useless/ not code compliant. This IRC code commentary shows such as trap as an example of what is NOT approved.

Jim's illustration (with proper pipe support) would be the correct way of approaching it .

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Jim, Thank you. What did you enter as search criteria?

Jerry. The reference is for a pipe in the other orientation.
    Bruce,

Regardless or which direction the gas supply is from, it should enter the tee in the direction shown and connect to the appliance in the direction shown.

Thus, a gas line coming up from the floor or ground needs to go up, turn horizontal, then go back down into the tee.

Or the gas supply can connect to the side of the tee (gas line from floor or ground goes up, turn horizontal, then into the tee.

Either connection will provide the required sediment trap for debris.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Google search terms - sediment trap image then scanned through visually.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Thank you for the various responses.

What I am looking for is a graphic or a picture I can use as an example to include in my reports showing one proper method of repair.

I understand the gas must make a change in direction for the sediment leg to work effectively. I am on board and agree. No need to sell me on the correct method. Already bought into the idea. Just trying to make it easier for my clients to understand that Yes there is already a Tee fitting but it is not used in the correct orientation. Here is an example of what it should look like.

Lots of photos and graphics of the gas pipe coming down, turning thru a Tee and going on to the appliance. That is the easiest method. But often the pipe comes up and then has to make a 90 degree turn to meet the appliance.

One method is kind of a gooseneck up and over so that it becomes a top down gas pipe. Just looking for a graphic or photo I can show as example. Jim's inital one is pretty good except it has watermarks and I can't use it for my reports.

google "water heater drip leg"

I've been instructed to stop calling out the missing sediment trap. The local authorities say we don't need them, so who am I to say we do?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I've been instructed to stop calling out the missing sediment trap. The local authorities say we don't need them, so who am I to say we do?
    John, we had the same problem in Mecklenburg Co., the building inspector said the gas was so clean that a sediment trap was not needed. They have now changed there stance as all of the manufacture installation instructions (as far as I have seen) call for a sediment trap. I tell the buyers that what it means to them is if there is a fire started by the appliance, the manufactures rep will take one look at the installation and say "take me to the airport - there is no sediment trap installed". Small price to pay to take away the get out of jail free card from the mfg.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I just came upon one today. Not a clear shot due to confined space inside a furnace closet but maybe it will help.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Try one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Doesn't matter what the locals say, they will deny it the first time it comes back to bite them. The codes state that the Manufacturers' requirements take precedence over codes. If the locals choose to supersede the manufacturers' installation instructions (which would make them liable), then make them put it in writing, and keep a copy in your files. In 35 years, I have seen four or five automatic gas valves fail open, and at least one of them was found to have failed from metal flakes or crystals, according to an independent lab, during the resulting litigation.

Last edited by Scott Cook; 08-18-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Photo of Sediment Leg Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    John, we had the same problem in Mecklenburg Co., the building inspector said the gas was so clean that a sediment trap was not needed. They have now changed there stance as all of the manufacture installation instructions (as far as I have seen) call for a sediment trap. I tell the buyers that what it means to them is if there is a fire started by the appliance, the manufactures rep will take one look at the installation and say "take me to the airport - there is no sediment trap installed". Small price to pay to take away the get out of jail free card from the mfg.
    Wow. John & Vern, since when would either of you 'do' or 'don't do' something because someone else 'said so' ?? :-) This is not a 'problem' at all. We do our job properly, ethically, and professionally as we are properly educated, trained and/or certified (you pick it) by our state mandated B & P Codes and/or State License SOP; and let the 'officials' do their job as they see fit. The AHJ absolutely knows that while there 'may not be a building code section for everything', they should fully understand that beside enforcing their accepted local codes, if/when it hits the fan, they would be quick to point out that 'manufacturer listing and installation requirements' trump all; should there be any quandary of 'final opinion'. And I'm pretty sure that 'when' the appliance fails, and the 'home warranty company' surprises the seller or new homebuyer with the fact that their failed unit isn't covered, the AHJ isn't going to cough up the $$ for replacement. (But you/I would get 'the call')
    I do, and have for years simply reported the lack of sediment traps, then take a photo of the mfctr. manual page included in the report with the defect photo. Almost all of the manuals have the illustration and specific direction right there on the pages. If there is no mfctr. manual, another call-out, and then just reference consulting the mfctr. installation instructions and/or website for final say. End of story, with no egos brought into the mix. As with anything else discovered and reported, the sellers or Clients don't 'have to do' anything about it, but at least we've done the right thing professionally for our reputations and liability, and for the best interest of the Client. You can sleep well.

Manual - Sediment trap.JPGWtr htr diagram.JPG

Steve Lottatore

I see Scott Cook has it right, and beat me to the reply.

Last edited by Steve Lottatore; 08-18-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lottatore View Post
    Wow. John & Vern............... As with anything else discovered and reported, the sellers or Clients don't 'have to do' anything about it, but at least we've done the right thing professionally for our reputations and liability, and for the best interest of the Client. You can sleep well.

Manual - Sediment trap.JPGWtr htr diagram.JPG

Steve Lottatore

I see Scott Cook has it right, and beat me to the reply.
    Yes, but you were much more thorough, and eloquent :-)

Took this photo today.

The installation instructions specified a nipple length which gave a minimum of 3" between the teen and the cap, shown on the drawing in the installation instructions as being measured between the edges of the two - they originally had a closed nipple installed - this now meets those requirements.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    When the gas pipe comes up from the floor and then turns horizontally to feed an appliance, it is a bit more tricky to install a sediment leg so that the gas is forced to change direction. I see lots of legs where the gas passes thru the top of Tee and hope the debris and mositure drop into the leg.

So I am looking for a photo or diagram showing a correctly installed sediment leg where the pipe rises to meet the appliance. Attached is a photo of an incorrect installation. Looking for an example of a correct installation for pipes oriented in this general configuration.

Yes , I know there is difference between a drip leg and sediment leg. Drip legs collect moisture while sediment legs collect debris. Drips legs are generally near the meter while sediment legs are at the appliance.
    Drip legs sediment traps are basically doing the same thing "cleaning " the gas The gas has to change flow direction at the trap for it to work The picture gas line would work if the T was turned 90 degrees and the gas supply was "taken off" upwards with a street or 90 elbow These traps are not needed at appliances that are actively viewed during operation such as a cook top or decorative fireplace