Default HVAC WH in 'closet' with tightly fitting door

AC and WH are in a small 'closet' with tightly fitting door on attached/covered patio per original builder. Door is tightly fitting on all four sides because it has good fitting weatherstripping-the better stiff vinyl covered 8' strips. City code says they should be enclosed. 30 year old condo. If there were any kind of 'enclosure' built around these, I would not be able to change the filter on HVAC or change the temperature setting for water heater-the closet is tiny. With the tightly, weather sealed door, doesn't that make an enclosure?? I can just change the filter as it is.
    Inspectors complaint is "it will draw outside air". But with the weather-stripping on the snug door there isn't a chance that it can . Other condos that do have a plywood slab across the front of them can no longer place a filter in the little 'drawer' that is directly under the inside handler. People just put a filter in the indoor air access in the bedroom. As it is now, I put a less expensive filter in the air access in the bedroom, and a second, expensive allergy filter in the 'drawer'. I get stuff in both filters. I think using the inside filter as a 'pre-filter' let's less dirt/dog hair into the smaller micron filter, lessening the chance of dirt getting in the unit and also catching more dirt that is in my home and ultimately in my lungs.
    thoughts please

Member Benefits1

Default Re: HVAC WH in 'closet' with tightly fitting door

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sauer View Post
    AC and WH are in a small 'closet' with tightly fitting door on attached/covered patio per original builder. Door is tightly fitting on all four sides because it has good fitting weatherstripping-the better stiff vinyl covered 8' strips. City code says they should be enclosed. 30 year old condo. If there were any kind of 'enclosure' built around these, I would not be able to change the filter on HVAC or change the temperature setting for water heater-the closet is tiny. With the tightly, weather sealed door, doesn't that make an enclosure?? I can just change the filter as it is.
    Inspectors complaint is "it will draw outside air". But with the weather-stripping on the snug door there isn't a chance that it can . Other condos that do have a plywood slab across the front of them can no longer place a filter in the little 'drawer' that is directly under the inside handler. People just put a filter in the indoor air access in the bedroom. As it is now, I put a less expensive filter in the air access in the bedroom, and a second, expensive allergy filter in the 'drawer'. I get stuff in both filters. I think using the inside filter as a 'pre-filter' let's less dirt/dog hair into the smaller micron filter, lessening the chance of dirt getting in the unit and also catching more dirt that is in my home and ultimately in my lungs.
    thoughts please
    Honestly, I don't know what you are trying to say. Try a little less background detail and try to ask your question in a couple of sentences.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

His wording and description is a bit confusing, talking about an "enclosure" at the same time as describing it as a "covered patio" (which would be open, not enclosed).

What I think he is trying to say is that the AHU and the WH are in an "enclosure" which is located on the "covered patio" and that the "enclosure" has a tight fitting, weather strip sealed, door.

However, he also says that he would not be able to change the filter if it was enclosed - that part I am not even going to guess at what he means.

*IF* the AHU and the WH are in an "enclosure" with a tight fitting and weather strip sealed door, then both are protected and are not "outside". As far as sucking in outside air, that would be no worse than, and in fact better than, the same AHU which is located in a garage. So that is likely not a concern ... unless a label on the AHU says it is to be located in conditioned space.

As far as accessing the filter ... I don't understand what he is saying based on my description above ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Gas or Electric?

Gas appliances need combustion air, preferably drawn from outdoors.
    Are the other condo units in your building?

Describe what you have, then the question.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

A photo or two would help.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    His wording and description is a bit confusing, talking about an "enclosure" at the same time as describing it as a "covered patio" (which would be open, not enclosed).

What I think he is trying to say is that the AHU and the WH are in an "enclosure" which is located on the "covered patio" and that the "enclosure" has a tight fitting, weather strip sealed, door.

However, he also says that he would not be able to change the filter if it was enclosed - that part I am not even going to guess at what he means.

*IF* the AHU and the WH are in an "enclosure" with a tight fitting and weather strip sealed door, then both are protected and are not "outside". As far as sucking in outside air, that would be no worse than, and in fact better than, the same AHU which is located in a garage. So that is likely not a concern ... unless a label on the AHU says it is to be located in conditioned space.

As far as accessing the filter ... I don't understand what he is saying based on my description above ...

ok- hope I can make myself more clear...

1. The HVAC handler is in a closet that is located on the covered patio.
    2. Appraiser says that handler must be 'enclosed', inside that closet.
    3. If I enclose the handler, by putting drywall, insulated panels, wood panels-whatever, then there will not be any room for me to change filters, as the filter goes in a 'drawer, at the bottom of the unit.
    4. What would be the difference if there is an enclosure built in the closet, as the door to the closet is tight on all sides of the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sauer View Post
    ok- hope I can make myself more clear...

1. The HVAC handler is in a closet that is located on the covered patio.
    2. Appraiser says that handler must be 'enclosed', inside that closet.
    3. If I enclose the handler, by putting drywall, insulated panels, wood panels-whatever, then there will not be any room for me to change filters, as the filter goes in a 'drawer, at the bottom of the unit.
    4. What would be the difference if there is an enclosure built in the closet, as the door to the closet is tight on all sides of the door?
    Are you talking about an appraiser or inspector requiring changes?
    Chances are an appraiser does not know what he is talking about since that is outside his job description. If it is a city inspector, make him happy.
    We must know if it is a gas or electric installation.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A little better.... But.... If the unit is in a closet on covered patio that is outside, how does the return air get back to the air filter? How is the return air getting back to the closet?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

1. It is an appraiser from the bank.
    2. There is a return duct in bedroom, which is on the other side of the storage closet.
    will take some pics for you tomorrow.
    forgot to tell you appraiser listed unit as 1 ton, when it is clearly listed in the model number. '18’ is in the model number. Makes me even more suspicious that appraiser is not on top of his game....
    Also, appraiser stated that differential temp drop was less than 10- stating something was wrong. HVAC guy said all numbers were within normal limits, no freon needed nor any work on it needed.....
    thx

Last edited by Stephen Sauer; 10-05-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Me thinks you have your terms confused. I have never seen an "appraiser" take temperature differential readings. Sounds more like an inspector or some bastardization of the two trying to do something he may not be qualified to do. If he is either, he will have a TREC license number on his report or advertising.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas