Default Looking at buying this house, but cracks!

Index of /1125

Brick is separating slightly from wall, inside corner at porch shows some separation, also concrete block at back of house shows cracks in the overcoat. One window on the side of the house in the garage, it seems like the top is askew, there is s flat steel beam over the wall that is not level, window looks a bit out of square too. Also, it seems that all the doors mounted on the front to back plane in the house have a sticking problem. This is a house in east Tn, its a great house but… don't want to be stuck holding a bag here either. Any inputs appreciated. Thanks!

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Looking at buying this house, but cracks!

Valid concerns but this forum should not be used in lieu of getting a professional home inspection done. Also, without pics, it's extremely difficult for anyone to see or comment on what may be happening with the concerns you have identified. Also, a good home inspector may discover many issues you've not yet seen or recognized.

Hire a home inspector, it's peace-of-mind worth the price.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    Valid concerns but this forum should not be used in lieu of getting a professional home inspection done. Also, without pics, it's extremely difficult for anyone to see or comment on what may be happening with the concerns you have identified. Also, a good home inspector may discover many issues you've not yet seen or recognized.

Hire a home inspector, it's peace-of-mind worth the price.

Oh there is a link with pics above, it is Index of /1125

Also I had a home inspection done, but these things were noticed during.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Young View Post
    Also I had a home inspection done, but these things were noticed during.
    What does that mean?

Were you given advice or recommendations by your inspector?

Nearly impossible to remotely evaluate the structure without seeing everything as a whole, not individual close-ups of potential defects. Sorry.

1) Please downsize pics to 640 x 480 so we don't have to wait 5 minutes to see them, they are cracks, yes.

2)Age of house? 5 years old you got a problem, 15 years, the place may need repair, 50 years, there is maybe no problem, some minor settlement.

3) What is the terrain like? Flatland, hilly, house on a slope, base of a hill, swamp?

4) What is the soil composition in that area? Sand, clay, rock, gravel?

5) One storey, or two or more? Is that brick veneer on a stick frame or is it concrete block with brick veneer?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    1) Please downsize pics to 640 x 480 so we don't have to wait 5 minutes to see them, they are cracks, yes.

2)Age of house? 5 years old you got a problem, 15 years, the place may need repair, 50 years, there is maybe no problem, some minor settlement.

3) What is the terrain like? Flatland, hilly, house on a slope, base of a hill, swamp?

4) What is the soil composition in that area? Sand, clay, rock, gravel?

5) One storey, or two or more? Is that brick veneer on a stick frame or is it concrete block with brick veneer?
    Thanks for looking, sorry about the pic size, was keeping them hi res for clarity, I will downsize as soon as I can.

2) House is 34 years old.

3) House is on a slope, front of house is buried up to first floor (basement and small crawlspace buried), back basement has sliding glass door that is a walk out to the back yard.

4) Not sure what is underneath ground-wise, it is Oak Ridge Tn area.

5) It is 2 story plus a basement, foundation walls are concrete block and then above that is wood frame for the two stories. Back foundation wall (block) is coated with smooth cement, then above that where wood frame starts it is vinyl siding. Front of house is brick veneer over wood first floor, second floor is covered with vinyl siding. Sides of house is covered with brick both over the concrete block and the wood frame up to second floor, where it is covered with vinyl siding.

That one picture of the window, the top metal bar supporting bricks is not level, and window seems out of whack.

Also the inside corner brick picture is under the front porch area, where the garage meets the house.

Thanks again!

Gil

Thanks for looking, sorry about the pic size, was keeping them hi res for clarity, I will downsize as soon as I can.

2) House is 34 years old.

3) House is on a slope, front of house is buried up to first floor (basement and small crawlspace buried), back basement has sliding glass door that is a walk out to the back yard.

4) Not sure what is underneath ground-wise, it is Oak Ridge Tn area.

5) It is 2 story plus a basement, foundation walls are concrete block and then above that is wood frame for the two stories. Back foundation wall (block) is coated with smooth cement, then above that where wood frame starts it is vinyl siding. Front of house is brick veneer over wood first floor, second floor is covered with vinyl siding. Sides of house is covered with brick both over the concrete block and the wood frame up to second floor, where it is covered with vinyl siding.

That one picture of the window, the top metal bar supporting bricks is not level, and window seems out of whack.

Also the inside corner brick picture is under the front porch area, where the garage meets the house.

Thanks again!

Gil
    As others have said, it is not possible to accurately evaluate structural concerns from photos. However, assuming that significant patching has not been performed in the foundation where the cracks are located, this does not appear to be a significant concern. One photo (1900) did appear that patching may have been performed. Were the cracks in the foundation visible on the inside?

The cracks in the brick also did not appear to be a significant concern.

I could not tell much from the lintel photos. Too much shadow and no picture of the entire window.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    As others have said, it is not possible to accurately evaluate structural concerns from photos. However, assuming that significant patching has not been performed in the foundation where the cracks are located, this does not appear to be a significant concern. One photo (1900) did appear that patching may have been performed. Were the cracks in the foundation visible on the inside?

The cracks in the brick also did not appear to be a significant concern.

I could not tell much from the lintel photos. Too much shadow and no picture of the entire window.

OK understood, I do appreciate the input though. I could not see the inside walls as they were drywall covered wherever the cracks were. The 1900 photo looks like it was painted over and the paint filled the crack when I eyeballed that one. I am supposed to be getting the home inspectors detailed report tomorrow, will see what it says. Will report back here as well.

Thank you!

Gil

OK understood, I do appreciate the input though. I could not see the inside walls as they were drywall covered wherever the cracks were. The 1900 photo looks like it was painted over and the paint filled the crack when I eyeballed that one. I am supposed to be getting the home inspectors detailed report tomorrow, will see what it says. Will report back here as well.

Thank you!

Gil
    Inspector noted the cracks and brick separation, recommended structural engineer examination. Also noted that the back deck lacked proper joist construction, apparently each beam is 2 beams nailed together and there are no saddles at all in the construction at the end of the beams. So having a structural inspector come out.

Will keep you updated, thanks!

Gil

The close up photos are almost useless as others have noted... In Oak Ridge you have rock almost everywhere a few feet under the dirt, if not on the surface. Expansive clay is not an issue, if anything it could be poor compaction if the lot was filled to build on. So many variables that is difficult to say what has caused the cracks. Poor framing can also cause cracks.

I would get a good foundation contractor or a PE that specializes in residental foundations to look at it. Your home inspector should have given you better details on what you need to be doing or what the implications of the cracks mean.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com