Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Attic splice Snap connector

Jerry
    Thanks for the effort.

OREP Insurance
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The light still needs a box.
    True but that box is 12 -18" away from the splice/tap.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    True but that box is 12 -18" away from the splice/tap.
    Agreed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

OK, while Jerry is waiting to post official 'UL' wording….

I just wanted to bring this back around full circle, and say that from Eric's post # 1 & photo, I agree with Gunnar (post #2) and Mary (post #6) that this is wrong/not acceptable. Those suspect 'blue connectors' look nothing like the 'supposedly approved' Tyco tap fitting illustrated in Jack's post # 4.
    1. There are no 'integral metal brackets' to take 'most' of the strain off the NM cables and 'snap connections'
    2. There are visible 'bare/unprotected conductors' outside of those blue connectors and NM insulation to the splice. That does NOT comply with the portion of the NEC 334.40(B) requirement: "Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the coverings has been removed"

From Eric's photo, that would be an easy call to justify. I would be just as concerned as Vern and others with 'making the right call' for those issues discovered during an inspection, and trying to minimize any confusion for my Client or any other concerned parties of the transaction, for making those calls.

YMMV

Steve L.

I love this place.......I literally saw those for the first time 2 days ago at HD when I was picking up some wire nuts and picked it up, looked at, read the box and had a very, very dumbed down version of this thread in my head and wondered what the real answer was

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12