dan orourke Guest

Default dryer vent connection

Last edited by dan orourke; 12-26-2007 at 11:02 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: dryer vent connection

Are you talking about the section that is attached to the dryer, or the dryer vent pipe once it leaves the laundry room area?

The only part of the dryer vent that I really look at is the permanently installed part. If it can be removed with the dryer I do not comment on it.

As for the tape, I guess I would have to see it. If they used metal duct tape, I don't see much wrong with it. If it is cloth tape, it will not last very long.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The only part of the dryer vent that I really look at is the permanently installed part. If it can be removed with the dryer I do not comment on it.

My concern is that material that could be removed with the dryer - for example flexible plastic vent - will be left there instead.

Given that dryer fires are a common occurrence (15K a year) and have considerable potential to spread if they are not contained by vent material, I'm more comfortable reporting the presence of such material than not, and include this link in the report: Overheated Clothes Dryers Can Cause Fires: Safety Alert

YMMV.

I alway's call out the accordian type flex vents Mike.
    With all of the Condo's in the Chicago area installing those double stack units in tiny closets , there is no way the unit owners are going in the back to inspect or clean any build up.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

As Bob noted trying to see behind the double-stack units can be problematic.

As Rich Rushing says: "Report what you see and report what you can't see."

I've had two inspections recently where there was "no" connection between the dryer and the vent pipe.

In both cases I mentioned to resident (these were new home investments for rental and were already occupied) that they needed to have a connection between the dryer and the exhaust.

Both had purchased new washers/dryers that had been delivered by local 'box appliance' store and did not connect the dryer vent. I'm guessing the contract was to just "deliver" the equipment ... not "hook it up".