Jennifer Jones Guest

Default Question about ceiling height?

Hi. My aunt bought a legal 2 flat with an added 2nd floor addition( bedrooms and bathroom) back in 2000. The 2nd floor addition was added by previous owner in 1994. My question is, I noticed that the basement unit ceilings are not all 7ft and 6in. The living room ceiling height is 7' 6" . The kitchen ceiling is 7'4". One bedroom the ceiling height is 7'4"and another bedroom the ceiling is 6' 8". My aunt lives on the south side of Chicago. I know some basements in Chicago are not legal, but my aunts basement is legal according to the building plans and is certified as 2 units( it is accounted for). I know my aunt is going to sell her building soon and I was just wondering if the ceilings that are not quite 7'6" would be an issue? I mean it was like that when she bought the place. I am guessing that this is the way the basement always was originally. Would it be grandfathered in then?

Last edited by Jennifer Jones; 10-09-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Question about ceiling height?

Required ceiling height for vintage buildings is 7'. This includes basement and attic units. The 7'6" minimum comes into play under a major rehab or new construction.
    Based on what you've said ceiling height shouldn't be an issue in your case. Sufficient natural light and ventilation tend to be a bigger non-compliance problem but most home inspectors aren't smart enough to look at that so it probably won't matter.
    If you have approved Plans showing its 2 units thats great. If you are basing the 2 units on what the assessor says, then thats pretty much irrelevant for City purposes.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Jennifer Jones Guest

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is zoned as a two flat. I know my aunt said the previous owner did add a second floor addition back in 1994 . There is definitely enough natural light. There are nice size windows in every room that let natural light in. I was just curious about the ceiling height because I always thought they had to be a certain height..

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Required ceiling height for vintage buildings is 7'. This includes basement and attic units. The 7'6" minimum comes into play under a major rehab or new construction.
    Based on what you've said ceiling height shouldn't be an issue in your case. Sufficient natural light and ventilation tend to be a bigger non-compliance problem but most home inspectors aren't smart enough to look at that so it probably won't matter.
    If you have approved Plans showing its 2 units thats great. If you are basing the 2 units on what the assessor says, then thats pretty much irrelevant for City purposes.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is zoned as a two flat. I know my aunt said the previous owner did add a second floor addition back in 1994 . There is definitely enough natural light. There are nice size windows in every room that let natural light in. I was just curious about the ceiling height because I always thought they had to be a certain height..

"...most home inspectors aren't smart enough to look at that..." The smarter home inspectors would. The smarter home home inspectors would read websites like this to try to learn. And the smarter home inspectors would never make such conceited comments on a website like this. If you have such low respect for home inspectors, why are you here?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)