Default decks and porches attached to manufactured /mobile homes

Want to make sure I did not mis understand the code man
    I stated that exterior decks and porches CAN be attached directly to mfg mobile homes IF the exterior foundation is built with a footing steel rebar concrete j bolts and framed with studs and top bottom plates just like a house foundation
    Codeman stated that no not in Florida only flashings can be attached. Respectively, not being able to attach as noted defies logic and is allowed where I live in California

Thanks for your reply in advance

OREP Insurance

Default Re: decks and porches attached to manufactured /mobile homes

Quote Originally Posted by frazier jeffery View Post
    Want to make sure I did not mis understand the code man
    I stated that exterior decks and porches CAN be attached directly to mfg mobile homes IF the exterior foundation is built with a footing steel rebar concrete j bolts and framed with studs and top bottom plates just like a house foundation
    Codeman stated that no not in Florida only flashings can be attached. Respectively, not being able to attach as noted defies logic and is allowed where I live in California

Hi Frazier,

I would say the "Logic" would be the likely hood of a Tropical Storm / Hurricane Event in Calley is quite low. IN Flaw-ada it is most certain.

Regardless of the Logic AHJ has given you their answer and it's not likely to change.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Default Re: decks and porches attached to manufactured /mobile homes

Quote Originally Posted by frazier jeffery View Post
    directly to mfg mobile homes
    There is a difference between manufactured mobile homes and manufactured modular homes. We always need to be sure that we are speaking the same language. Modular homes are usually the same as site built in footing support and ties to foundation and engineering. They are also generally ( in my opinion) better built and stronger than site built homes overall.
    This is true in Florida and elsewhere. In either case the manufactured home is not built to standard codes, instead built to specialized codes or engineering requirements. Many times materials used are not even in use in site built homes (yet) but may be in the future. Remember manufactured homes must be moved at 55 mph over a hiway for hundreds of miles. Try that with a site built house.

Also from my experience, a lot depends on the manufacturer and the engineering documents as submitted and stamped by an engineer (and based upon local variations of risk such as flood or high winds). If something is engineered and stamped to a certain build, then it is calculated and the engineer stamp will usually override a general requirement as long as the local permitting department accepts the calculations and engineering. There is no guarantee that they will, but generally a wet stamp will be defendable.

Also, I have known of cases where permitting and inspection argue after the fact regarding such changes. ACCEPT NO VERBAL ORDERS from any inspector ever regarding changes from an approved wetstamped engineering requirement, whether manufactured or site built! Expense can build quickly in those cases in lost time and rework. The inspection departments are actually the problem as once stamped and permitted special engineering exists it generally will prevail over a generic requirement or possible code (usually it exceeds the requirement or negates the cause of the code requirement). Any change from stamped and approved drawings requires as built drawings and possibly new engineering wet stamps and approvals. Always check with the engineer in any case where a change is required by inspection. Remember that the contractor is responsible for the change and damage/harm/risk changes may cause, not the inspector! The contractor has contracted to provide to the drawings, not to an inspector's objection and verbal order.

If your are placing a mobile or modular in a park on a standard slab it is different than placing the same on an owner lot and engineered footing with engineered peripheral attachments such as break away skirting, decks and other expansions to the home (I have seen these in Florida with 12 ft elevation concrete/steel beam foundation for flood requirement.) The first will be generic and to minimum current codes. The second will be to specialized engineering. Totally different applications.

If there is a question on an inspection be sure and check the approved drawings if available.