Default water heater height in garage

gas water heater in garage is located in a 7 inch raised area with work bench etc In order to meet the 18 inch requirement above the garage floor [where vehicles are parked] would raising the existing water heater approx 11 inches satisfy the height requirement ?

Thanks

Member Benefits1

Default Re: water heater height in garage

Quote Originally Posted by frazier jeffery View Post
    gas water heater in garage is located in a 7 inch raised area with work bench etc In order to meet the 18 inch requirement above the garage floor [where vehicles are parked] would raising the existing water heater approx 11 inches satisfy the height requirement ?

Thanks
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...er-garage.html

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

For several years, gas WHs have been FVIR (Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant), and are not required to be raised 18".
    Check to see if this WH is FVIR, if not then yes, raising it another 11" should meet the requirement.
    FVIR WH can be identified by: Having a screen around the bottom, a sealed combustion chamber and push button (electronic) ignition pilot light.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    For several years, gas WHs have been FVIR (Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant), and are not required to be raised 18".
    Check to see if this WH is FVIR, if not then yes, raising it another 11" should meet the requirement.
    FVIR WH can be identified by: Having a screen around the bottom, a sealed combustion chamber and push button (electronic) ignition pilot light.
    AHJ's in my area still require FVIR water heaters to raised the 18". If you read one of 90 warning stickers on the side of the water heater it still instructs folks to raise them 18" if required by the local AHJ.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by frazier jeffery View Post

Thanks
    If it is necessary to raise the WH, it's the main burner flame which should be 18" above the floor, not the WH base itself. You may find your existing 7" plus the burner height taken from the base or feet, already satisfies recommendations. Dependent upon make/model etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Page View Post
    If it is necessary to raise the WH, it's the main burner flame which should be 18" above the floor, not the WH base itself.
    Or the pilot or the ignitor if lower than the main burner flame.

The lowest item/component which can be considered/is an ignition source is what measured to.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Or the pilot or the ignitor if lower than the main burner flame.

The lowest item/component which can be considered/is an ignition source is what measured to.
    Yup...and...NOT LESS THAN 18". I've seen a few where the igniter/pilot is level with or slightly above the burner.

If the base is 18" off the floor, then you are assured the burner is more than 18". Most I see are on stands that are 18" high anyway.
    While I used to see water heaters on the floor quite often years ago, I have to say, I rarely see them now.

Now, if we could only get the plumbers to connect a pipe to the TPR valve...........