Question what kind of ceiling covering is this ?

Can anyone give me their opinion on what kind of ceiling covering this is. Warehouse ceiling is over 17 ft high and is hard to know exactly. For some reason I'm thinking asbestos board of some sort. Anyways looks like fiberglass mesh mixed-in with plaster over cement. 1/2" to 3/4" max.
    Bldg is 80 years old if that helps......

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: what kind of ceiling covering is this ?

Hi Gilbert,

I saw that nobody has replied yet, hopefully you didn't need the info to complete your report, if this was from an inspection.

From what I can see in your photo, and from the age of the building, I don't think you have any type of 'asbestos board' application there, but appears to be a 'patched' or 'wall-papered' area with strips of canvas or fabric-like material added with the plaster over the damaged original lath & plaster ceiling (referred to as 'canvassing')

You can see the moisture stains throughout the ceiling in your photo, so my vote would be that they have had and probably still having roof leak problems causing the plaster to crack, deteriorate, and separate from the lath and/or framing. The moisture/leaky roof problem also has an effect on the 'keys' holding the plaster to the ceiling and must be stopped on the outside of that plaster surface, for any interior surface repairs to be effective, as any 'repairs' made to a wet base will fail again. (If this was for an inspection, hopefully you did call the need for proper roof repairs/replacement)

A proper/complete repair of what you're seeing on the interior may or may not be easy to remedy, and does depend on the exterior roof conditions, and the extent of any minor or major structural problems with the roof framing and lath applications, for the duration of time this has been going on; and whether it can be properly patched if they're determined to stay with plaster, or replaced with drywall for the long run.

Steve L.

Default Re: what kind of ceiling covering is this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lottatore View Post
    Hi Gilbert,

I saw that nobody has replied yet, hopefully you didn't need the info to complete your report, if this was from an inspection.

From what I can see in your photo, and from the age of the building, I don't think you have any type of 'asbestos board' application there, but appears to be a 'patched' or 'wall-papered' area with strips of canvas or fabric-like material added with the plaster over the damaged original lath & plaster ceiling (referred to as 'canvassing')

You can see the moisture stains throughout the ceiling in your photo, so my vote would be that they have had and probably still having roof leak problems causing the plaster to crack, deteriorate, and separate from the lath and/or framing. The moisture/leaky roof problem also has an effect on the 'keys' holding the plaster to the ceiling and must be stopped on the outside of that plaster surface, for any interior surface repairs to be effective, as any 'repairs' made to a wet base will fail again. (If this was for an inspection, hopefully you did call the need for proper roof repairs/replacement)

A proper/complete repair of what you're seeing on the interior may or may not be easy to remedy, and does depend on the exterior roof conditions, and the extent of any minor or major structural problems with the roof framing and lath applications, for the duration of time this has been going on; and whether it can be properly patched if they're determined to stay with plaster, or replaced with drywall for the long run.

Steve L.
    Thank You Steve. I think you hit the nail right on the head. Your description fits perfectly. I did send my report but with a note that I was researching further. Since this inspection was for an insurance company it gave me some time to figure it out. The roof was newly recovered a year ago so that made a difference in the report.