Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Access to water heater closet

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-11-2007 at 07:42 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Access to water heater closet

Jeff,

I think it could be argued either way as to whether or not it is a violation, if it were me, I would certainly mention the restricted access and not really care about code.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

With that vent in the WH closet door and being in the laundry room, its also going to suck lint into the closet which is going to be a problem.

Is this a KB by chance?

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    the washer will block access to the water heater closet. Is this a code violation, if so what is the code?
    Jeff,

IRC 2003 P2801.3 Location, Water as to provided heaters and storage tanks shall be located and connected so as to provide observation,maintenance,servicing and replacement.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    With that vent in the WH closet door and being in the laundry room, its also going to suck lint into the closet which is going to be a problem.
    I'm assuming that is for a gas water heater, and that the vent in the door is a combustion air vent ... in which case the clothes washer will block that vent - not to mention (as others have stated) block access to the water heater.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Barre Guest

At a minimum, it's a phenomenally poor design. If I were the buyer, I'd at least insist on windows in the door so I could monitor what was going on in there.

Kevin,

If you asked that builder to put glass in the door, he'd forget to use safety glass.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Jeff,

IRC 2003 P2801.3 Location, Water as to provided heaters and storage tanks shall be located and connected so as to provide observation,maintenance,servicing and replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    At a minimum, it's a phenomenally poor design. If I were the buyer, I'd at least insist on windows in the door so I could monitor what was going on in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    Assuming the washer /dryer is able to be installed in this laundry room, the washer will block access to the water heater closet. Is this a code violation, if so what is the code?
    Jeff,

Glass might meet the observation requirement. But would not meet the other three requirements stated in the code. This setup would allow either the Washer to be installed or the Water heater not both.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.