cory nystul Guest

Default two vents one gas fireplace?

I was in a home today and came across a gas fireplace that had been converted to propane. The question is why are there two vents? Is one an intake? or just a design i have never seen before. Also the top vent had orange silicone that appears to have been used to seal the vetn plumbing, is there an orange silicone that is acceptable for use on gas fireplaces and vents?

DSCN5034.jpgDSCN5033.jpgDSCN5035.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: two vents one gas fireplace?

Your guess is correct. One vent for combustion air. Dunno about orange caulk, but there are caulks rated for higher temperature.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Cool Re: two vents one gas fireplace?

You always should refer to the mfrs listed instructions for that model appliance, whether a furnace or fireplace. In general, yes, red RTV neutral cure silicones are rated for 650F intermittent/ 600F continuous is generally sufficient on gas vents except the connection to the appliance collar. In most cases, you want a non-hardening removable high temperature seal such as Mil-Pac, which looks like black furnace cement but does not cement or glue the pipes together permanently.

I hope you wrote up that second stage regulator within 3 feet of that vent termination. That wall cap takes in combustion air and exhaust flue gases. If the diaphragm in that reg. blows, raw gas under about 10 psi will flood the area entering the vent channeling into the fireplace. If there is a standing pilot, this will make the headlines when it goes boom.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

john stone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    You always should refer to the mfrs listed instructions for that model appliance, whether a furnace or fireplace. In general, yes, red RTV neutral cure silicones are rated for 650F intermittent/ 600F continuous is generally sufficient on gas vents except the connection to the appliance collar. In most cases, you want a non-hardening removable high temperature seal such as Mil-Pac, which looks like black furnace cement but does not cement or glue the pipes together permanently.

I hope you wrote up that second stage regulator within 3 feet of that vent termination. That wall cap takes in combustion air and exhaust flue gases. If the diaphragm in that reg. blows, raw gas under about 10 psi will flood the area entering the vent channeling into the fireplace. If there is a standing pilot, this will make the headlines when it goes boom.
    Well spotted I do this stuff in Australia worked in the UK there was something not quite right IN IT IN A NUTSHELL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    I hope you wrote up that second stage regulator within 3 feet of that vent termination.
    Worth repeating! In Canada, 6 feet is required.

john stone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Gratton View Post
    Worth repeating! In Canada, 6 feet is required.
    Perhaps the cops could that guy from Savage Family Diggers BOOM BABY BOOM