Default T&P drain line connections question.....

Hello guys. I am guessing these type connections should not be used on a T&P drain line from a water heater.
    Can ya'll guys give me some info.

thanks,
    T&P.jpg

OREP Insurance

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Default Re: T&P drain line connections question.....

Quote Originally Posted by TcDuhon View Post
    Hello guys. I am guessing these type connections should not be used on a T&P drain line from a water heater.
    Can ya'll guys give me some info.

thanks,
    T&P.jpg
    My old code book states piping must be Gal or Copper...maybe newer materials are allowed.

Not sure what code book you are using Loren, but as far as I know its always been pipe rated for HOT water use, galvanized, black pipe, CPVC, copper, stainless steel, etc.
    Can't have threaded ends and must be sized the same as the TPR (3/4"). Can't have tee's or valves.
    I'm not familiar with the fittings in the photo, but I'm guessing that if they are 3/4" fittings its OK. They allow elbows and couplings as long as its all 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Not sure what code book you are using Loren, but as far as I know its always been pipe rated for HOT water use, galvanized, black pipe, CPVC, copper, stainless steel, etc.
    Can't have threaded ends and must be sized the same as the TPR (3/4"). Can't have tee's or valves.
    I'm not familiar with the fittings in the photo, but I'm guessing that if they are 3/4" fittings its OK. They allow elbows and couplings as long as its all 3/4".
    yes this is CPVC. thanks

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Jack thanks for posting.
    I should not be quoting my code book because materials have changed since 1964. At that time the code only approved Galvanized and Hard Drawn Copper. We have a plethera of options today it seems.

i admire those working at the Trade now, particularly the apprentists. Many I have met are smart and have many more resources available. I learn from them every chance I get.

And speaking of resources, this site is a great one. You can thank technology and those willing to give their time for it. OK, I'm off the soap box. Loren Sr.

That union looks like a Speedfit coupler, from John Guest. Similar to Sharkbite Pushfit couplers.

John Guest Speedfit - The World Leader in Push-fit Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems - COUPLER

Photo of O-ring inside fitting...

Dom.

Inspector 3500 Guest

In certain installation, such as two or more T&P drain lines joining together, tee's are allowed with the down stream piping be sized to carry all discharges at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 3500 View Post
    In certain installation, such as two or more T&P drain lines joining together, tee's are allowed with the down stream piping be sized to carry all discharges at the same time.
    And what size do you make the T&P discharge line when you join them together?

From the IRC: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe.
    - - The discharge piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature-relief valve or combination valve shall:
    - - - 1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
    - - - 2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
    - - - 3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
    - - - 4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
    - - - 5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
    - - - 6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
    - - - 7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
    - - - 8. Not be trapped.
    - - - 9. Be installed to flow by gravity.
    - - - 10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
    - - - 11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.
    - - - 12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
    - - - 13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section P2905.5 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry beat me to it....
    IRC 2006 P2803.6.1.4 shall... Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
    IRC 2006 P2803.6.1.12 shall... Not have valves or tee fittings.

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Jack I should not have quoted the code book because it is way out of date but the only one I have. It is the 1964 Uniform Plumbing Code Book. I apologize for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sanders Sr. View Post
    Jack thanks for posting.
    I should not be quoting my code book because materials have changed since 1964. At that time the code only approved Galvanized and Hard Drawn Copper. We have a plethera of options today it seems.

i admire those working at the Trade now, particularly the apprentists. Many I have met are smart and have many more resources available. I learn from them every chance I get.

And speaking of resources, this site is a great one. You can thank technology and those willing to give their time for it. OK, I'm off the soap box. Loren Sr.
    I hope you are not performing home inspections using a 1964 codebook.

Quote Originally Posted by William Heuberger View Post
    The fitting pictured does not appewar to be either a valve or tee fitting and if the diameter remains 3/4 should be ok but is it PVC not cvpc ??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by William Heuberger View Post
    The fitting pictured does not appewar to be either a valve or tee fitting and if the diameter remains 3/4 should be ok but is it PVC not cvpc ??