Cory Bates Guest

Default heat register in crawlspace

I was under a country house today built in 1989. The floor is not insulated, the foundation is insulated and plastic is run all the way up to the sub floor. I found a heat register in the crawlspace. I am curious is this acceptable? I am working on getting pics, i am having camera issues right now.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: heat register in crawlspace

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Bates View Post
    I was under a country house today built in 1989. The floor is not insulated, the foundation is insulated and plastic is run all the way up to the sub floor. I found a heat register in the crawlspace. I am curious is this acceptable? I am working on getting pics, i am having camera issues right now.
    Foundation vents sealed or not installed also I am guessing. In this case the crawlspace is now a conditioned space.
    Building Science Corporation has considerable info. I have inspected a few homes constructed in this manner and I prefer this method over the conventional vented crawlspace.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Cory Bates Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    Foundation vents sealed or not installed also I am guessing. In this case the crawlspace is now a conditioned space.
    Building Science Corporation has considerable info. I have inspected a few homes constructed in this manner and I prefer this method over the conventional vented crawlspace.
    The foundation vents were closed. There were enought spiders and webs under the house to safely say it is not a sealed environment.

Spider webs are going to be present regardless of conditioned or not. The crawl space should either be conditioned or vented to outdoors, not a combination of the two. Maybe they changed it to a conditioned space and sealed the vents?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

In my area crawl spaces should be incorporated into the conditioned area of the home and sealed off from the exterior. Of course this runs counter to many muni requirements. Spider will get in no matter what you do.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Spiders seem to find their way into my house too!