Default Sometimes Guardrails aren't Enough

Drive thru taken litterally.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Re: Sometimes Guardrails aren't Enough

Maybe they should have supersized the guardrails.

Seriously, how did the car even get in there? It looks like the guardrails are only a few feet from the building.

Last edited by Jon Randolph; 11-05-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spellllllllllllllling

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Randolph View Post
    It looks like the guardrails are only a few feet from the building.
    Jon,

Looks like a portable barrier that was setup after the fact.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

No I think he took out the railing. Check out the broken concrete and the tire marks made before the launch of his lifetime.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    No I think he took out the railing. Check out the broken concrete and the tire marks made before the launch of his lifetime.
    Rick,

I was looking at the intact Red Post right under his license plate.

But now that you pointed out the tire marks there is visible damage to the top of the window opening.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

William Brady Guest

There must have been a long line for takeout. When you gotta have fries your gotta have fries.

William Brady Guest

Can someone help me with this. I just looked at a commercail building and I have a question about guard rails. I don't have a picture sorry but I wiil try to exlain what I saw. It's a strip center in the shap of a L. On the long side the back area has approx 5 feet of space taken up by a cement walk way and some plantings. At the end of the planting there is a drop off of about 4 feet. Is a guard rail required? Can anyone provide me with a code requirement one way or the other? I need to get my ducks in order for the final inspection next week.

Depends.

Your description was not clear as to what was where.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

SECTION 1013
    - GUARDS
    - - 1013.1 Where required. Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, mezzanines, industrial equipment platforms, stairways, ramps and landings that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below. Guards shall be adequate in strength and attachment in accordance with Section 1607.7. Where glass is used to provide a guard or as a portion of the guard system, the guard shall also comply with Section 2407. Guards shall also be located along glazed sides of stairways, ramps and landings that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below where the glazing provided does not meet the strength and attachment requirements in Section 1607.7.
    - - - Exception: Guards are not required for the following locations:
    - - - - 1. On the loading side of loading docks or piers.
    - - - - 2. On the audience side of stages and raised platforms, including steps leading up to the stage and raised platforms.
    - - - - 3. On raised stage and platform floor areas, such as runways, ramps and side stages used for entertainment or presentations.
    - - - - 4. At vertical openings in the performance area of stages and platforms.
    - - - - 5. At elevated walking surfaces appurtenant to stages and platforms for access to and utilization of special lighting or equipment.
    - - - - 6. Along vehicle service pits not accessible to the public.
    - - - - 7. In assembly seating where guards in accordance with Section 1025.14 are permitted and provided.

Depends on where the walkway was, the planting area was, and where the drop off was.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob White Guest

You're too quick, EC Jerry.

Now what am I gonna do with this section 1013.1 I have on my clipboard?

William Brady Guest

Hi Jerry and thanks for getting back quickly. Let me try to explain it better. Along the back wall of this building there is an approx area from the wall to the drop off of about 5 to 6 feet. It drops off to a desert area below there is nothing back there except snakes and the like( just kidding) anyway within the 6 feet of space there is a walkway provided for people coming and going into the back doors of the retail space. The rest of the area is taken up by plantings in a dirt area. So looking at it you see the back of the building then a cement walkway and shrubs I am wondering if I willl be faced with the question and I think is going to come up as to a guard railand should be back there. I hope this is clear. Now I will go back and read what you sent me.

Thanks Bill brady

William Brady Guest

Well after reading your post Jerry it would seem that one is required since it is open to the public and the drop off is more than 30 inches above grade. It does not fall into the exceptions from what I read. Does this sound right to you?

Bill,

Your description seems to be going in circles around what I am trying to envision, so I've attached a drawing of what I am thinking.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob White View Post
    You're too quick, EC Jerry.

Now what am I gonna do with this section 1013.1 I have on my clipboard?
    Bob,

I just happened to turn my computer back on and check in, sorry, ... tell you what, why not paste that as the answer to the next question, whatever it happens to be?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

William Brady Guest

Your photo is right on and the demensions are helpful too. I thought one should be there no matter what the demensions are for safety reason. I am glad I asked this question and got this answer from those more experienced than I. So many thanks for responding to me and if you have more to share I welcome it.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Drive thru taken litterally.
    Rick

That is going to be you someday if you keep using that camera when driving