Default best basement window well Drainage construction

What is the best construction for the basement window well? I never cared about the drain outlets stuck out from gravel at wells until 2 yrs ago when a property had minor water intrusion at basement under the window well. The last owner put a memberane under the gravel, which I thought is only a short term solution. The holding water would find its way to go somewhere may be adjacent to foundation. Then it comes to the worse scenario. Since then I talked to contractors. Some told me they put 10" gravel. My goodness.

I prefer the drain not to be next to the foundation. Instead, it better be in the middle of wells. The backfill can be packed sloping down to the outlet, then gravel; or the drain next t foundation mostly seen, the backfill can be packed sloping down to the outside. Does it help?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: best basement window well Drainage construction

I don't know what is beneath the gravel, which by the way is truly very pretty and definitely sloped towards the drain. But if the slope of the gravel is to direct the water towards the drain... well, it is as useful as breasts on a bull.

Think about it. Since the gravel is porous, in order for the water to drain, its level must pass the height of the drain inlet. In essence this means that the well must flood. For those that install 10" of gravel, well that only means that there will be 10" of water before it will drain. The gravel may hide the water (until it floods), but you are creating a damp situation. A window well will most probably get limited sunlight, and the high moisture will be conducive to algae, etc.

The gravel should be replaced with concrete, which should be sloped towards the drain.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 10-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

The Big-O tile should be perferated with a silt sock on it. Then the pit will drain properly regardless whether the tile is centred.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    The Big-O tile should be perferated with a silt sock on it. Then the pit will drain properly regardless whether the tile is centred.
    Yes, this is very theoretical but the real situation is depending on the rain fall, foundation & its damp proofing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    The gravel should be replaced with concrete, which should be sloped towards the drain.
    This might be the best option but I never seen. I think the drain outlet is for the worse & emergency only. Normally the surface water shouldn't go this way

Also provide window well covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Yes, this is very theoretical but the real situation is depending on the rain fall, foundation & its damp proofing.

- - - Updated - - -

This might be the best option but I never seen. I think the drain outlet is for the worse & emergency only. Normally the surface water shouldn't go this way
    OK, sounds like you have everything under control. It's just when I see a drain I automatically assume it is intended to collect and redirect water away.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Also provide window well covers.
    Yes. I found a dead rabbit in one of those once. Poor thing hopped itself to death. Then I had to be discreet when the buyers showed up with 2 young kids in tow.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Yes. I found a dead rabbit in one of those once. Poor thing hopped itself to death. Then I had to be discreet when the buyers showed up with 2 young kids in tow.
    My neighbor found a skunk in his once, but it wasn't dead. He managed to drop a bucket down with a lid and rope to get him out and took him to the woods. To this day I haven't figured out how he didn't get sprayed, maybe the skunk wanted out just as bad.

Around here a lot of builders install corrugated pipe connected to the drain tile and fill most of the well with gravel in new construction. When adding egress they dig about a foot or two below the well bottom and fill with gravel, usually there is no tile to connect to on older homes.