Cory Bates Guest

Default Louvered door for electric furnace

I know a gas furnace in a closet would need to have louvered door but does an electric need louvered door as well?
    DSCN5268.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Louvered door for electric furnace

A louvered door would only be required for an electric heat/air handler unit if the return air was being drawn in through the louver, but I see what looks like a return air duct on the left side going down to what is probably the return air plenum below the AHU.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Electric furnace, no combustion.

For a gas or oil furnace, a louvered door OR a pipe to supply combustion air is required. Sometimes the door is sealed but a pipe comes into the closet to supply combustion air and that's OK.

Sometimes there is a small grill in the floor that some goof covered up with a piece of carpet, that was not OK.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    For a gas or oil furnace, a louvered door OR a pipe to supply combustion air is required. Sometimes the door is sealed but a pipe comes into the closet to supply combustion air and that's OK.

Sometimes there is a small grill in the floor that some goof covered up with a piece of carpet, that was not OK.
    All of which, and each of which, must meet size and location requirements.

A louvered door in your photo may not work (if it was gas and if the louvered door was for combustion air) as the opening locations for a two opening method is one opening starting within 12" of the ceiling and one opening starting within 12" of the floor.

Also the material the louvers are made from affects the overall opening size ... because what counts is the size of the openings - not the opening size (the louvers block the opening size, with the size of the remaining openings being added together for the size of the openings).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I actually saw this exact same setup a few days ago, and wondered whether it was installed correctly, since all the labels were upside down. Is this an approved installation for this particular unit? Is there any problem with heat pumps if the coils are before the blower?

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Good catch on the labels being upside down - I presumed (which is dangerous to do) that the unit is permitted to be reconfigured and, if so, that it was properly reconfigured.

Many units are approved for, and their installation instructions state what and how to do it, installation as up flow (comes from factory that way), horizontal flow, or counter flow (down flow).

The coils can be rotated to keep the condensate pan at the bottom.

Some units are designed as blow through (positive pressure on side of coil where air enters coil - blower before coil) while some units are designed as such through (negative pressure on the side of the coil where air exits the coil - blower after coil). I'm not sure if this aspect is permitted to be changed as access panels suitable for negative pressure may not be suitable for positive pressure.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Bates View Post
    I know a gas furnace in a closet would need to have louvered door but does an electric need louvered door as well?
    DSCN5268.jpg
    Do they keep the ammo in there too?

On labeling of the furnace. I live in the land of electrical furnaces and this is very common. Like Jerry states these units are designed to be install in various configurations. On this unit you can see the condensate lines coming out the bottom of the of the coil department and no real issue.

I probably see at least one to two units a week set up exactly like that.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Cory Bates Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zabarylo View Post
    Do they keep the ammo in there too?
    Good job somebody else noticed the guns. Don't worry the ammo was stored about 6 feet away in the bathroom drawer and under the sink.