Default No back door for egress

I have never came across this before, but I'm not surprised. This has to be a code violation ?? The homeowners had enclosed the back porch and made it into a new bedroom. The problem is there was NO backdoor. NO egress is case of a fire to the back portion of house. Shouldn't they have added a sliding glass door and set of steps ????

OREP Insurance

Default Re: No back door for egress

Unless your area requires it, a "Back Door" (2nd egress door) is not required.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Deja vu, all over again......

Agreed, all things being present that are required, a back or rear egress isn't one of them.

Recently hashed out in this thread:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/building-interior-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/40678-no-back-door.html

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    I have never came across this before, but I'm not surprised. This has to be a code violation ?? The homeowners had enclosed the back porch and made it into a new bedroom. The problem is there was NO backdoor. NO egress is case of a fire to the back portion of house. Shouldn't they have added a sliding glass door and set of steps ????
    I'm curious...... Does the enclosed back porch have a properly sized window?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    What is a "properly sized window" for an enclosed back porch?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What is a "properly sized window" for an enclosed back porch?
    Well, now it's a bedroom.... :-)

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Two casement windows side by side 36 x 48 with 8ft drop outside the bedroom window, no landing. SEE PICTURE, the other small window is the master bathroom (too small anyway)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Well, now it's a bedroom.... :-)
    So it is not an enclosed back porch anymore ... right?

Need to think of it in terms of what it is - and it is a "bedroom", so ... it also has smoke detectors inside and outside the bedroom, the proper sized EERO (which is what you were alluding to), and properly spaced electrical receptacle outlets, proper insulation in the walls, proper - well, proper "everything" now that it is a bedroom.

Also, the open back porch may have been used as an EERO path from other bedrooms, and now that the back porch is no longer a back porch, those other bedrooms may no longer have proper EERO ... meaning that once a back porch is enclosed (from being open), regardless of what its current use is, enclosing the back porch may have created other problems too.

Of course there may also be other issues, but no need to go there ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sam,
    Was it listed as a bedroom or just being used as a bedroom?
    You can put a mattress in a closet but that does not make it a bedroom.

Sorry, not an answer to your OP. ---- Answer: no

Happy to see an inspector catching and thinking about this sort of thing. From the pic this looks like a normal house. As others have mentioned second egress is unlikely to apply. Second egress is a concern for McMansions or multi-story.
    As Jerry eluded to there are other issues now that it is a bedroom. Always try to check joist sizes since those are usually not changed and undersized. If you can't see the joists or stick a tape in a hole somewhere try the jump test. Just jump up a bit and see how much the floor bounces.
    Always fun when the joists are really undersized or the midspan wall has been removed below and the whole floor waffles. I love seeing the client turn white when the floor waffling echoes in their ear. I know I'm sick, gotta have some small pleasures.
    On a related note a Seller is freaking out because I wrote up their basement bedroom as a walk-in closet. Insufficient natural light, no natural ventilation at all. My guess is they bought it as a 3 bedroom and now could be looking at selling a 2 bedroom. Chances are this deal with die, next buyer will hire a lousy inspector and it will go through as a 3 bedroom; new construction only about 7 years old.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    so ... it also has smoke detectors inside and outside the bedroom, the proper sized EERO (which is what you were alluding to), and properly spaced electrical receptacle outlets, proper insulation in the walls, proper - well, proper "everything" now that it is a bedroom.
    ...and heating too. Don't forget the heat