Sky Jones Guest

Default Bathroom plumbing severe negative pitch

I found that the bathroom vent in the house today had a severe negative pitch, as seen. It appears to be venting out the soffit vent. Is it okay to have a drop such as this in the plumbing? I must admit i am somewhat concerned about the possibility of condensate dripping out the end.

DSCN5446.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Bathroom plumbing severe negative pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Jones View Post
    I found that the bathroom vent in the house today had a severe negative pitch, as seen. It appears to be venting out the soffit vent. Is it okay to have a drop such as this in the plumbing? I must admit i am somewhat concerned about the possibility of condensate dripping out the end.
    That is the vent from the bathroom exhaust fan, correct?

Going downhill is no problem, venting out through the soffit is no problem ... provided it is done correctly ... and I doubt that was done correctly.

The bathroom exhaust fan discharge can vent through the soffit with a proper exhaust vent cap (hood) designed for that purpose, and that the exhaust is not close to another vent into the structure (which includes soffit vents).

More likely than not, that exhaust duct is just stuck down into the soffit and is actually still "in the attic" where the end of the duct discharges - and that is a no-no.

Also ... wonder how many nails actually hit the top truss chord ... just pondering the thought ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Bathroom plumbing severe negative pitch

In my view -

1. It should go to a roof vent (warm air is naturally buoyant) since as in the picture the exhaust air is being pushed down.
    2. The exhaust vent should be insulated to deter condensation from developing inside the duct.
    3. Soffit vents don't work well in cold climates.