Default French drain vs Storm Drain through bulkhead... Geotech needed?

Property owner has installed a French drain at the waterfront side of their home instead of the city plan's blueprint for an outfall through the bulkhead for storm water. Does this change typically require a geotech for approval, and is such approval typically a part of the public record? This is in Seattle, Wa, USA.

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: French drain vs Storm Drain through bulkhead... Geotech needed?

So the city wants a catch basin type drain with it's drain pipe discharging through the bulkhead, is this correct?

The homeowner has installed a subsurface French drain. But where does the French drain discharge?

The problem with a French drain is that if you have a large amount of water (heavy thunderstorm, etc..) in a short period of time they are virtually useless because the water must soak through the ground then into the pipe.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: French drain vs Storm Drain through bulkhead... Geotech needed?

Quote Originally Posted by R Grab View Post
    Property owner has installed a French drain at the waterfront side of their home instead of the city plan's blueprint for an outfall through the bulkhead for storm water. Does this change typically require a geotech for approval, and is such approval typically a part of the public record? This is in Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Good day Mr. Grab.
    Could you elaborate further. "Property owner has installed a French drain at the waterfront side"

Is the water management system for the home, or is it a water control/management system for the property?

I am asking because at times water control and water management systems are misunderstood.
    I am not saying you have made an error. I am just reading the thread.
    French drains usually refer to sub drainage systems. Here is a link to the name french drain and the inventor.

IMO the term, "French drain" applies to the foundation/footing/pier water control systems that are berried around the perimeter of home's slab or basement footings, that carry the structural foundation walls. Sub drainage, French drains are also used for steam walls and piers as well.

The plumbing pipe/s, and there can be several types, is/are perforated and exhaust rain water or naturally occurring water into catch pump basins and/or gray water and/or sewer lines.

I am in Montreal Quebec Canada, so most sub drainage systems are introduced into the sewer water.

When I do property on the water front, I look for water control systems and look at the sea wall for discharging. As long as it is lot water management or control it is permitted. then again, I have not talked to all municipalities. But older cottages did have septic lines descending directly into the the river. Pee U.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 12-14-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”