Thread: Police Story

Lewis Capaul Guest

Default Police Story

Oregon State Police Story

In most of the United States, there is a policy of checking on any stalled vehicle on the highway when the temperatures drop down to single digits or below.

About 3 AM, one very cold morning, Senior Trooper Gary Gleaves (Oregon State Police) responded to a call there was a car off the shoulder of Interstate 5 outside Canyonville, OR. He located the car, stuck in deep snow, and with the engine still running. Pulling in behind the car with his emergency lights o n, the Trooper walked to the driver's door to find an older man passed out behind the wheel with a nearly empty vodka bottle on the seat beside him.

The driver came awake when the Trooper tapped on the window. Seeing the rotating lights in his rearview mirror, and the State Trooper standing next to his car, the man panicked. He jerked the gearshift into 'drive' and hit the gas. The car's speedometer was showing 20-30-40 and then 50 mph, but it was still stuck in the snow, wheels spinning.

Senior Trooper Gleaves, having a sense of humor, began running in place next to the speeding, but still stationary car. The driver was totally freaked, thinking the Trooper was actually keeping up with him. This goes on for about 30 seconds, then the Trooper yelled at the man to 'Pull over!' The man obeyed, turned his wheel and stopped the engine.

Needless to say, the man from Los Angeles, Calif. was arrested, and is probably still shaking his head over the State Trooper in Oregon who could run 50 miles per hour.

Who says Troopers don't have a sense of humor?