Default Foam insulation as an exterior wall covering

Anyone know if this foam insulation can be used as an exterior wall covering. This was on a 1970 warehouse turned house.1st story is cmu, 2nd is wood frame with wood siding. This stuff is direct applied to both. Numerous holes. The material beneath the pigmented covering is brown crumbly. Several places around windows where the sill sloped back to the window. It has been applied since vinyl thermal windows were installed.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Foam insulation as an exterior wall covering

Is that a sprayed on foam? If it is, I have seen it used on commercial freezer buildings but they are not wood structures! I'm sure the wood is more like garden mulch do to water seepage and condensation....

It's a train wreck!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Is that a sprayed on foam? If it is, I have seen it used on commercial freezer buildings but they are not wood structures! I'm sure the wood is more like garden mulch do to water seepage and condensation....

It's a train wreck!
    Agreed! This is a big problem - as in water intrusion and fungus growth - and likely getting into the framing. Recommend intrusive investigation. Tear down that wall, Mr Gorbachev.

Looks a bit like Polyurethane spray foam used for roofing. Problem is for walls you have windows and more chance for physical damage. It creates an exterior moisture barrier, which may not be good unless the walls can dry to inside. It should be removed.

Kind of like EIFS, works great as long as the surface is perfect and there is no way for water to penetrate.

If they put a double layer drainage plane beneath it, it will likely work but foam, as we know, does not hold up well when exposed to weather and physical damage.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

It looks exactly like the foam roofing used here sometimes. Right down to the bubbles and exposed yellow foam. Not a great product, in my opinion. It's a constant battle to keep the outer later intact, and it usually ends up looking like your photo.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Unless your customer is planning on gutting this place or taring it down, I would would call for a very detailed environmental evaluation

1. We have an issue of things growing in this foam since it has bee breached
    2. What was the warehouse used for - what was stored there
    3. what is in the soil surrounding it , what is in the air inside

Just because some one converted it to a residential unit doesn't mean that they didn't leave something behind - ask your self Why does this foam have warts ? (because it is sick) , Seriously , I have real issues with commercial buildings being converted on the cheap and that is what this looks like - for all we know the foam is growing warts because someone was making Meth inside - or it was used for chemical storage - too many questions for me and this needs a company with real good environmental science (not just test kits out of box either - this needs a Gas Chromatigraph brought on site to sample the air if there is not enough history to know exactly what was stored here) what happened to the previous occupants ?

OK going over the top - maybe but I don't have all the facts either

Dozer time.