Thread: NC State Exam

Default NC State Exam

Hello, I have just finished my online(120 hrs)through AHIT and awaiting to go through the in-class in-field)training in Feb then take final exam in June. My question is does anyone know type of questions or how to study for it. I have heard a lot of question are code related. I also understand that NC is a very tough state. I appreciate any feed back. Thx Gary

Inspection Referral

Default Re: NC State Exam

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redmond View Post
    I have heard a lot of question are code related.
    I'm not in or from NC, but the above puzzles me as, if I recall correctly, NC specifically prohibits home inspectors from mentioning code in their reports, so ... why would code questions be on the home inspector test?

???? Am I remembering the NC prohibition incorrectly?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm not in or from NC, but the above puzzles me as, if I recall correctly, NC specifically prohibits home inspectors from mentioning code in their reports, so ... why would code questions be on the home inspector test?

???? Am I remembering the NC prohibition incorrectly?
    Referencing code is not "prohibited" but the requirements to use code in the report is extensive, making it very impractical. The test does require knowing the codes because, as you say, codes are minimum standards. The trick is to report as not functioning as intended and being able to use code to back-up your findings, not to use the code as the defect.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Referencing code is not "prohibited" but the requirements to use code in the report is extensive, making it very impractical. The test does require knowing the codes because, as you say, codes are minimum standards. The trick is to report as not functioning as intended and being able to use code to back-up your findings, not to use the code as the defect.
    So, therefore it's imperative to study NC residential codes as well as the regular material. Apparently, the questions are worded in such a way that it's more difficult to choose the correct answer, as well.
    The online HI courses (schools) approved by NC need to take a hard look at what these "schools" are offering-- I feel unprepared to say the least and I'm out $$$ !!?!

NC has its own exam. There is a relativity small bank of questions from which it draws. There are several NC trainers that provide a Pass the Exam course. NECHS is a good provider. Instructor- owner was one of the first licensed in the state. The course teaches all the possible questions and answers for the test. His guarantee is if you don't pass, you can take his class for free until you do. There are a few questions the state wants a specific answer even though it is not the best choice. There are also questions with goofy choices. Which is an acceptable location for an open junction box?A) attic, B) crawlspace, C laundry room. NC basically adopts the IRC in whole. If you know the IRC, you know the NC Residential Code.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    There are also questions with goofy choices. Which is an acceptable location for an open junction box?A) attic, B) crawlspace, C laundry room. NC basically adopts the IRC in whole. If you know the IRC, you know the NC Residential Code.
    What is the "correct" "goofy" (wrong) answer for that question?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

all locations are ok if done by homeowner know it all handyman--JUST ASK HIM

NC uses a modified IRC and is about three years behind, we are currently using 2012 code

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    NC has its own exam. There is a relativity small bank of questions from which it draws. There are several NC trainers that provide a Pass the Exam course. NECHS is a good provider. Instructor- owner was one of the first licensed in the state. The course teaches all the possible questions and answers for the test. His guarantee is if you don't pass, you can take his class for free until you do. There are a few questions the state wants a specific answer even though it is not the best choice. There are also questions with goofy choices. Which is an acceptable location for an open junction box?A) attic, B) crawlspace, C laundry room. NC basically adopts the IRC in whole. If you know the IRC, you know the NC Residential Code.
    So, the right(wrong)answer I would choose (Laundry room) based on the other areas are damp inaccessible and could cause a fire faster in those areas than the laundry room. another question you mentioned they get their questions from a "small bank" from which they draw, ok so where do other ones come from? I have 6 months to figure this out to take the exam

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redmond View Post
    I have 6 months to figure this out to take the exam
    I don't know what the test costs to take, or if there is a retake time between taking the test an additional time, but sometimes the best way to figure a test out is to:
    1) take the 'no fail' class (because you get to take it again free if you don't pass)
    2) take the test ... there is your sampling of questions and will give you the types of questions asked

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't know what the test costs to take, or if there is a retake time between taking the test an additional time, but sometimes the best way to figure a test out is to:
    1) take the 'no fail' class (because you get to take it again free if you don't pass)
    2) take the test ... there is your sampling of questions and will give you the types of questions asked
    The NC exam is 275.00 for all fees and if you fail you to have wait 6 months to retake. I am awaiting for my 10 in-class(in-field)training through AHIT to start in Feb. I have a possibility to take it(exam) in April or wait till June. I am considering April.

The NC exam has not been updated in years. They have a small item bank of questions that are code based. I would use Code Check Complete as a good study guide. You also need to know the state law that covers home inspectors including the standards..... It is not a difficult exam... I would take a prep class if you are not sure.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The NC exam has many code questions drawn from the 2009 IRC. Here is the free, online exam prep tool: Advanced Residential Code Inspection Exam Prep - InterNACHI

The code exam prep tool assumes you've already gone through this free, online home inspection exam prep tool: Ultimate State/Municipality Exam Prep course - InterNACHI at least once.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post
    NC uses a modified IRC and is about three years behind, we are currently using 2012 code
    The most current ICC version available is 2012. If NC is 3 yrs behind, then it would be 2009 version. 2015 has yet been released.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

The most current ICC version available is 2012. If NC is 3 yrs behind, then it would be 2009 version. 2015 has yet been released.
    Correct. Which is why I recommended this code exam prep course which is also based on the 2009 version: Advanced Residential Code Inspection Exam Prep - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    The NC exam has many code questions drawn from the 2009 IRC. Here is the free, online exam prep tool: Advanced Residential Code Inspection Exam Prep - InterNACHI

The code exam prep tool assumes you've already gone through this free, online home inspection exam prep tool: Ultimate State/Municipality Exam Prep course - InterNACHI at least once.
    Yes Lisa, I started to go through the Ultimate state/Municipality Prep(2089 questionnaire) and will go through the other one as well. Is this pretty close to the exam? I also have code check complete & electrical code check, 2014, 2011, 2012, IRC