john thurmond Guest

Default TPR Discharge to Condensate Drain?

90% WH with not one, but two condensate drainlines tee'ing into the TPR Discharge piped with CPVC... Nice job huh? Q: Do you test a TPR valve ever? I don't ever test them just because I choose not to have to replace them... This configuration being downsized from the valve to the pipe ID would give a great double overhead hot shower if the termination was blocked somehow. Just grip on to the condensate drains and take it like a man.
    So being the new TPR Sheriff in town.... The discharge pipe resembles being under arrest. "Put you hands up and keep them up"

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by john thurmond; 11-07-2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Feeling goofy! Way to late...
    Crawl Space Creeper

David Banks Guest

Default Re: TPR Discharge to Condensate Drain?

IRC P280.3.6.1 says among other things that " The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped full size separately to the floor etc.... Separately is the key in your case.

John,

Since you do not have posted where you are from, I'm going to assume that you are one of the fortunate ones to live in the Great State of Texas.

Below is text from our SOP.

From the Texas Standards of Practice:

(k) Water heaters. The inspector shall:
    (1) report the energy source;
    (2) inspect the unit and report as in need of repair fittings that leak or are corroded;
    (3) report as in need of repair temperature and pressure relief valve piping that lacks gravity drainage, is improperly sized (no smaller than the outlet fittings), has deficiencies in material, or lacks a correct termination;
    (4) report as in need of repair a temperature and pressure relief valve that does not operate when the valve is of an operable type and operation will not cause damage to persons or property as reasonably determined by the inspector (for example, it would be reasonable not to operate the valve if there is improper or undetermined termination of the drain pipe, a corroded or damaged valve, improper installation of valve or drain pipe, the drain pipe is of inappropriate material or there is no water supply cut-off valve at the unit);

With that, yes should be testing at TPR valves. My only comment is to you is first know where the drain line terminates and be prepared for it to continous drip or leak from the valve once you open it. YOU will get those calls saying YOU caused it to leak and that you'll be paying for it to be repaired. So have your spheres ready to stand up and tell them as JP says, "IT failed under test."

Rick

john thurmond Guest

Hey Rick,
    I am from the great state of Texas, and the heart is still there. It's just to hot! I now reside in CO. and we don't have any state regulation or licensing requirements here. I do follow NAHI's SOP and I am not required to operate the TPR unless I choose too by my own accord. In certian situations I will test the TPR and I do understand the importance of the TPR testing. This one I chose not to test because it sat on a wood (OSB) structural floor with the discharge termination about 2" shy of the floor drain. I am really glad I have the option to test the TPR or not.
    Anyway, I just posted that pic because I thought other inspectors would get a chuckle from it. Thanks for all the great responses I've read that you've provided to other threads I've read. Keep on your toes... John