Patrick M. Murphy Guest

Default New Member/modular question

Hi Everyone:

I am joining because I ran a search for drywall cracking in modular home and some excellent discussion showed up on this site. I am a 57 year old personal trainer, once a realtor for 5 years, and a photographer for 20 before that. I've owned several homes but never a modular.

I am asking for your advice/opinions on a 1996 modular home my sweetheart and I are considering buying in southern Colorado, 7,000 feet elevation. It is on a half daylight basement with other half a crawl space. Ranch style, 1800+ SF upstairs with a partially finished basement of 900+ SF. Metal roof. Woodstove and propane heat.

There are something like 10 to 20 cracks in walls (minor cracks like drywall) above doors, next to windows, along ceilings. Many more than I am used to seeing in a stick built home, but of the same dimension (size, degree?). We found 2 small foundation cracks near a window etc... possibly 1 foot long and toothpick width, not even. 1/16 or 1/32 inch?. The roof has been repaired and had leaks. Poor workmanship on repairs (no collars around pipes/vents!?). Some mildew or possible mold on basement drywall (inspector recorded no current moisture reading) from a softball size area. Maybe a mold stained spot or two upstairs as well, no current moisture in any. Attic and basement vents have been blocked possibly for years. Quite a few popped drywall nails upstairs. A couple doors and most windows tight to close/open.

I know this is a very broad question... but what are your opinions of purchasing such a property? Is a modular getting old at 18 years of age? This one seems to be aging poorly but maybe not? Can they last in rough climates at high elevation? Will we spend thousands in maintenance going forward?

I appreciate your time and assistance.

Patrick

Crawl Space Creeper

Hello Patrick M. Murphy,

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

If you are a business owner please accept this gift for making your first post: http://www.inspectionreferral.com

If you are a home buyer, seller or DIYer, this gift is for you: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-i...als/member.php

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: New Member/modular question

Patrick, you really need to invest in a home inspection. Hire a good home inspector and you will have more information on the property than you could ever hope of getting from any discussion board.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: New Member/modular question

Modular or manufactured (manufactured is in a double wide)?

Manufactured home are built to a HUD code.

Modular homes are built to the building code.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com