Stanley Chow Guest

Default Z Vent for Boiler

I am not familiar with Z Vents. It's venting a gas-fired boiler through the sidewall. Label says "Special Gas Vent Component". Why was a special component needed and was it proper to use it in this situation? See pictures.

Thanks for our help.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Z Vent for Boiler

I don't see the drain tee the installation instructions call for. I didn't look for everything in the installation instructions Dom linked to, but I did notice the drain tee was missing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have a couple questions... 1. Reading the installation instructions, pages 1and 2 state this vent system is for Category I, II, III and IV appliances, but then on page 10 they say for Category II, III, IV appliances...so you get all done installing it on your Category I furnace and then you turn to page 10 and ??? What happened to Category I?

2. I can't see where it's going very well, but the copper pipe with the yellow shutoff valve in between the appliances...that's not for gas, is it???

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JC Warner View Post

2. I can't see where it's going very well, but the copper pipe with the yellow shutoff valve in between the appliances...that's not for gas, is it???

Thank you.
    Definitely water line. Several maintenance questions with that installation. Evidence of past relief valve leakage, etc. I only see a few boilers a year around here, so I don't have to see much wrong to call out for servicing by a boiler tech. Around here there are only a couple of guys I trust to work on boilers. I suggest finding a great boiler guy and paying him to inspect that boiler with you. Worth every nickel for the future.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

The expansion tank is mounted on a horizontal pipe coming off a tee, this needs to be supported vertically, not horizontally. A pipe support could be fitted below the expansion tank to support its weight.

I see a sediment trap for the water heater, but I don't see a sediment trap for the furnace - is it behind the furnace?

The water heater vent is reduced in size, then is enlarged again - not sure if that is acceptable or not?

What is that foil duct going to/from? Looks like the foil dryer connector (which is not permitted to be used for that purpose anyway) - does it go to a dryer duct in the wall?

Looks like a washer connection to the left of the furnace.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The water heater isn't strapped and the T&P drains to a couple inches above the floor. The boiler is missing some sheet metal.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bertrams View Post
    The water heater isn't strapped and the T&P drains to a couple inches above the floor. The boiler is missing some sheet metal.
    Strapping isn't required everywhere, such as here.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Strapping isn't required everywhere, such as here.
    Well live and learn hey. It is definitely a surprise to find out that the code in Colorado doesn't require a gas fired water heater to be secured.

Well live and learn hey. It is definitely a surprise to find out that the code in Colorado doesn't require a gas fired water heater to be secured.
    David,

It's a shaky earth thingy ... Colorado does not have the same shaky earth thingy going on that your California has.

Kind of like our (Florida) high wind thingy ... not everyplace has to be concerned with the high wind thingys.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Colorado gets the shakes now and then.

Colorado gets the shakes now and then.
    Florida gets the shakes too.
    - Florida
    - 5.1 earthquake shakes Southwest Florida - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

But not like California.

Like the Carolina's get the high wind thingys now and then, but not like Florida.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com