Default See Photo. If it has a closed cover, is a horizontal disposal receptacle allowed?

Horizontal oriented Disposal receptacle. If it has a closed weather cover, is a horizontal disposal receptacle allowed? (I realize the photos shows the weather cover opened). When the cover is closed, does not make a horizontal receptacle acceptable in this location? I can only find reference to counter-top horizontal receptacles not being allowed.

IMG_3473.JPG

Inspection Referral

Default Re: See Photo. If it has a closed cover, is a horizontal disposal receptacle allowed

Yes, I think it is allowed.
    The restriction is for countertops.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: See Photo. If it has a closed cover, is a horizontal disposal receptacle allowed

It's okay even without the bubble cover ... dumb but allowed.

With the bubble cover ... it looks similar to the one I have under our kitchen sink in the cabinet.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi Rick, thanks.

As we all know, leaks and water spillage below kitchen sinks is common. For that reason,
    I tend to think it is not allowed, however I cannot find anything addressing a horizontal receptacle below a sink. Even though it has a cover it seems liquids could find their way into the box.

My 2 cents.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Horizontal oriented Disposal receptacle. If it has a closed weather cover, is a horizontal disposal receptacle allowed? (I realize the photos shows the weather cover opened). When the cover is closed, does not make a horizontal receptacle acceptable in this location? I can only find reference to counter-top horizontal receptacles not being allowed.

IMG_3473.JPG
    I'm not sure whether I recognize the box. If the box is designed for damp and wet locations, and the cover is designed to protect even while something is plugged in, then I certainly would be ready to call in the jurisdictional inspector and clear your permit. If it isn't, I'd try calling him or her and asking, before scheduling the Final.
    (If installed without a permit, the work's illegal anyway, so WTH.)

Nothing wrong with that installation.

FYI if your are under 2014 NEC you could have a receptacle installed face up on a counter surface if that receptacle is listed as a receptacle assemblies for countertop applications. Per the 2014 NEC 406.4 (E)

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with that installation.

FYI if your are under 2014 NEC you could have a receptacle installed face up on a counter surface if that receptacle is listed as a receptacle assemblies for countertop applications. Per the 2014 NEC 406.4 (E)

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Hi Rick, thanks.

As we all know, leaks and water spillage below kitchen sinks is common. For that reason,
    I tend to think it is not allowed, however I cannot find anything addressing a horizontal receptacle below a sink. Even though it has a cover it seems liquids could find their way into the box.

My 2 cents.
    Because it is allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    I'm not sure whether I recognize the box. If the box is designed for damp and wet locations, and the cover is designed to protect even while something is plugged in, then I certainly would be ready to call in the jurisdictional inspector and clear your permit. If it isn't, I'd try calling him or her and asking, before scheduling the Final.
    (If installed without a permit, the work's illegal anyway, so WTH.)
    Under the kitchen sink is a "dry location" ... why on earth some of you keep questioning whether this is allowed or not by code is beyond me - that has been addressed ... it is allowed.

Is it the smartest thing to do? That's like asking is it the smartest thing to do to install electrical receptacles in a bathroom, but none of you question that. Heck, probably more bathroom tubs overflow than kitchen sinks would leak enough to do anything to that receptacle.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Because it is allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

Under the kitchen sink is a "dry location" ... why on earth some of you keep questioning whether this is allowed or not by code is beyond me - that has been addressed ... it is allowed.

Is it the smartest thing to do? That's like asking is it the smartest thing to do to install electrical receptacles in a bathroom, but none of you question that. Heck, probably more bathroom tubs overflow than kitchen sinks would leak enough to do anything to that receptacle.

I think the answer is a little more nuanced.

The under-sink area as a whole does not meet the definition of damp or wet location. Otherwise, the use of romex/NM cable would be illegal. However, the floor often gets dripped on. This doesn't mean you absolutely can't install a box on it. Instead, you install a wet-location box and suitable in-use-protected cover. (Sorry I lost the wording, "if closed" once I looked at the pic.) It's a case-by-case decision. You can't fault an AHJ that decides to treat it as something that can be expected to get wet, any more than I could fault the AHJ who decided I should add a barrier such as bricks in front of Sked 80 I'd run alongside a hot tub.

Then there's the other thing: it looked like the box in the picture might be an FS--or it just might be a switch box, not intended for surface installation or for exposure to damp. As I mentioned, I couldn't tell for sure what kind of box I was looking at.

Jerry, I'll agree to differ with you.

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    I think the answer is a little more nuanced.
    Jerry, I'll agree to differ with you.
    David,

The answer has no nuances ... a receptacle below the kitchen sink is allowed, and that area is *not* a "damp location" nor is that area a "wet location", it is a "dry location".

You can agree to be incorrect all you want, but a receptacle under a kitchen sink IS ALLOWED, and no special cover or box is required for it as it is a "dry location".

Sounds like you need to look up the definition for "dry location", "damp location", and "wet location" ...

... but don't feel bad about it, I tell electricians they need to look up those definitions when they try to tell me that wet locations are dry locations ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think its a dumb idea. Why go to the trouble of cutting a hole in the cabinet floor when it would have been a lot easier to put it on the wall of the cabinet.

Just cause the code says its okay does not always make for sound installation, common sense is never addressed in the code.

Maybe the GD was added after the cabinet was installed. Much easier to drill straight down to get the cable into the cabinet than trying to fish and drill in an outside wall while under the sink.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

I was thinking the armour cable was coming from the switch to the plug?

Not sure about the flex Ray.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I think its a dumb idea. Why go to the trouble of cutting a hole in the cabinet floor when it would have been a lot easier to put it on the wall of the cabinet.

Just cause the code says its okay does not always make for sound installation, common sense is never addressed in the code.
    No one here is saying it is not a dumb idea, only that code allows it.

And several of us are frequently pointing out that code is minimum, and I frequently point out that meeting the NEC does not, and the NEC says so itself, create an electrical system which is free of hazard, efficient, or even adequate for the use intended.

ALL codes are MINIMUM levels of safety - that's all.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com