Default worst house ever

I told my client that this may be the worst house I've ever seen, but he still wanted to buy it. This lovely receptacle is in the basement.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Kevin Barre Guest

Default Re: worst house ever

That's some really extensive corrosion. Not just the rust, but also of the brass in the receptacle. My question would be what caused that. I can't see how even higher than normal humidity could cause that. Then again, we don't do basements around here...but I doubt they would do them anywhere if that sort of corrosion resulted. Has someone been cooking meth in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    Has someone been cooking meth in there?
    I don't think so. Wouldn't that have killed the termites?
    Seriously, it's a very old house and lots of other moisture evidence in the basement, like this:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

imported_Richard Washington Guest

so how old was the dump, how many sf, and how long did you spend inspecting? those are some great pictures to post to encourage folks to hire us.

I'm guessing it was about 70 years old - not that old for Philadelphia, and about 2800+ sq ft. It actually didn't take a long time to inspect because the heating plants were not in use (gas off / disconnected from flues) and obviously completely shot. The water and electric were off to the second floor apartments. There were so many structural problems in the basement, in the form of amateur shoring-up of rotted joists and termite damage, that I could write it up in fairly general terms instead of trying to detail everything. I was there for about 3 1/2 hours and then spent a couple of hours writing it up.
    Did I mention there was a mattress on the flat roof?

imported_Richard Washington Guest

Thumbs up Re: worst house ever

i like the mattress on the roof idea. sunning in comfort

Yup. Can't beat it.

Richard Rushing Guest

I doubt that that grounded receptacle is 70 years old. Looks like the MDFB behind it has been replaced.

That type rust is normally associated with having been under water or having very high humidity shooting directly onto it for a considerably long time.

I've seen some real sheeiit holes in my day... everytime I see a really bad one, I think back and just shake my head and realize that I've maybe seen the worst I may ever see.

This week, I showed up to a foreclosure and the buyer met me there and told me that the electricity did not get turned on as had been promised. Anyway, he and I took a walk around and then inside the home....

Now, I can say (absolutely) that this one wasn't the worst, but I can say that it will make the top 20 list and that's pretty bad.

rr