Post Realtor gets much-needed lesson in disclosure - Upstate House

InspectionNews has just found the following information that might be of interest to you:

Realtor gets much-needed lesson in disclosure
    Upstate House, NY - 2 hours ago
    Liability insurance is necessary for disclosures made in a home-inspection report. Opinions expressed in a public forum are constitutionally insured by the ...

More...

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Mark Jones Guest

Default Re: Realtor gets much-needed lesson in disclosure - Upstate House

Good Post, Brian!

Which brings it around to what most brokers really need a lesson in, "ETHICS"

James Duffin Guest

About 18 months ago I got a call from a listing agent I do some repairs for. She wanted an estimate for some repairs on a 1920's house she had a contract on. I was not going to do the repairs as the buyer wanted the money for the repairs rather than having the repairs done. The estimate was about $5000. One of the larger items was replacing the knob & tube wiring in the attic that was covered with insulation. The house closed as planned.

Last month I got a call to inspect the same house for a buyer. I did the inspection and found the very few of the previous repairs had been done. This included the K&T in the attic. I told my buyer and their agent about the K&T being known to the seller when they bought the house 18 months ago. The seller had not disclosed the problem on the disclosure.

The buyer agent called the previous listing agent to confirm that the current owners (now the sellers of the house) knew about the K&T and she confirmed that they did. The sellers are saying they did not know about it.

The paper trail consists of their inspectors report, my estimate for the repairs, and all all of the emails between the previous listing and buyer agent.

I am not sure how this will turn out but the current listing agent is very concerned that her clients lied on the disclosure.

My point is that it is not always the agent that is a crook. It is usually the seller.

Ted Menelly Guest

They are all a bunch of crooks and they are all out to get you.

James Duffin Guest

You need to find you a better class of people to associate with!

Ted Menelly Guest

I just find life so interesting. The more I am on this sight and listen to all that goes on with Realtors, inspectors, buyers, sellers the more I feel so privileged. I feel like someone is watching out for me. Have I had a few minor experiences, yup. Have I had a pretty simple, no haggling, easily explained and done with with no hassle incidents in my 36 years of working life, yes.

I just never run into such controversy.

James Duffin Guest

I have had good luck in the past also avoiding problems. My point was that I have lots of friends and relatives that are RE agents and they are honest people who want the best for their client.

Ted Menelly Guest

Uh ohhhhhh

Are they referring you. If they are do you give your clients a 100 page statement that they are relatives and you would rather shoot yourself then let them sway you in your report writing.

Are they (if referring you) are they giving their client the same disclosure.

James Duffin Guest

You have a very bad outlook on life it seems. That is sad.

As I said before...everybody is not a crook and out to get you! There are some decent people in the world.

In my last 10 inspections 4 of the deals fell through due to the condition of the house. And yes they were for my friends and relatives who are RE agents. Of the three I had done inspections on other houses for the same buyers. They love me!

It it always amazed me that foilks find it hard to be honest and truthful.

Ted Menelly Guest

No, no bad outlook.

Just a really good sense of humor.

I guess you have to know me better to realise that. I accept referrals from anyone on the planet unless I know they are crooked.

Actually that was really a good question about friend and relative referrals even though I was jesting.

Come on, its Sunday. It is the day to keep it light hearted.

James Duffin Guest

Ok Ted.....a truce is in effect until Monday!