Sheryl Davidson Guest

Default Question about water heater

Hey guys,

This is the water heater at my brother's house. I was there for Halloween and had to take a photo because I am not sure this is "normal" for the TPR line. Can anyone tell me if this is incorrect or against any codes? Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Question about water heater

Sheryl,

We just recently had a thread on this same matter as in your picture. You might go back and look for it.

Yeah, its wrong! There is no air gap on neither the termination of that T&P valve line or at the condensate on your air handler.

Here in Texas we must comment if the T&P does not terminate to an outside source. We don't see many here to a floor drain or to a sewer pipe connection as I suspect in your picture.

rick

Sheryl Davidson Guest

Thanks Rick! I knew about the air gap problem, but the pipe being bent and installed around the front of the water heater to the other side was bugging me. I sometimes wonder what in the world builders and contractors are thinking.

Sheryl,

The drain line would only be a inconvience when the water heater needed to be replaced and for that matter the drain line have to be removed anyway.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Davidson View Post
    but the pipe being bent and installed around the front of the water heater to the other side was bugging me.
    I would not worry about, or be concerned about, the copper being bent like that

I would be concerned about the turned down 90 elbow end and the fact that there is nothing securing it down in place.

Under flow T&P emergency relief - that end is likely to to be forced upward, spraying hot steaming water into the face of anyone nearby.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com