Default Does he think I'm deaf???

Friday's inspection for a fairly high end home. Buyer is with me, and talking almost non stop. I'm in the kitchen testing microwave, etc, and I hear what sounds like him passing gas. Not sure because dishwasher was running, and I also had water running in the sink.

We go to the garage and I'm checking out the water heater and I hear him let go. I had my back to him, and did not acknowledge the sound.

We then go out the garage door to my first tour around the house, and I hear him passing gas as we were walking. I get over to the HVAC units on the side of the house and when I was checking out the labels, I hear him let go again.

Not a word from him the entire time. Maybe he thought he wasn't making noise? Maybe he thought he was far enough away from me, that I wouldn't hear him?

Just weird.

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Does he think I'm deaf???

Maybe he was just the sharing type!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Medical condition? Perhaps he was deaf?

Sounds like a TPR valve needs to be monitored. Did you put it in your report????

My be just hard of hearing.

Or, like the guy who goes into the doctors office and, while in the waiting room, passes gas every few minutes, and thinks to himself 'I sure am glad those don't smell or make any noise.'.

Then he goes in to see the doctor and explains that he has been having a lot of gas and farting quite often, but at least they don't smell and don't make any noise. The doctor gives him a prescription for it and says to come back in next week.

Next week the guy comes back and does the same thing in the waiting room, but this time he is just glad the farts are not smelly because he is now hearing the noise.

He goes in to see the doctor and explains that whatever the medicine was, the farts are now noisy but at least they don't smell.

The doctor gives him another prescription and says to him: Now that your ears are cleared up, this should clear your nose up ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Better from the client than you. Funny the things that you remember. I had an inspection once where I was the one with the flatulence problem. I made two dozen trips to recheck something on the exterior which was a major pain at zero degrees and a foot of snow on the ground. If the buyers wondered why I had to step outside so often, they kept it to themselves.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

.. and the best piece of advice .... do not eat gas producing foods prior to inspection. Alternatively add a little bottle of Beano to your inspection kit.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Document in your report "undetermined source of low level machine-gun type sounds noted throughout inspection in multiple areas on interior and exterior of property - repairs needed to determine and correct source of repetitious sounds".

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Monitor for toxicity?

Implications - can be explosive, cause breathing difficulty, odours can linger, cause laughter or annoyance, cause yellow flames to turn blue...

Sometimes the extra effort to get up onto the roof; or squeeze into an attic or crouch down into the crawlspace are all prime times to relieve the pressure. Too bad... now and then somebody is following too close... "Pardon me, I have gas" is all I say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Medical condition?
    And maybe a condition he has no control over. A fellow I knew had Tourette's Syndrome and the profanity he frequently shouted out was not within his control. There's a lot I personally have to be thankful for.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Yours truly being completely tone deaf in similar situations have on occasion checked the bottom of my shoes and politely asked others to do the same. This tact may not work for you.

Brings back memories of a previous life, when a DOT work buddy and I would get together every Thursday night for shooting pool on my 9-ft. custom table. He would regularly let them rip, and they were usually sneakers (rarely audible), but very smelly. I made a few awkward comments about them, but he refused to acknowledge what he was doing. Our pool games were very spirited and competitive, and I suspect it might have been his not-so subtle way of trying to distract me from concentrating on my game.

I guess I'm going to see if it was a one time thing or not. I'm seeing him next week on another inspection.

Jack,

You might want to take a clothes pin for your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I guess I'm going to see if it was a one time thing or not. I'm seeing him next week on another inspection.
    Maybe take a couple of extra batteries for his hearing aid...