cory nystul Guest

Default custom garage door instillation

I am not sure if it would have taken more time to install the opener right, but it had to take some time to make this custom bracket. The opener was also found to be installed with just strapping materials.

funny.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: custom garage door instillation

Is there anything in the center of the ceiling which would necessitate this installation?
    Just wondering...

cory nystul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JC Warner View Post
    Is there anything in the center of the ceiling which would necessitate this installation?
    Just wondering...
    I must admit that the clearance was not the best, HOWEVER the past opener had been located in the center.

Cory,
    Please tell me that you have more picts of the installation, would love to see them for many reasons. Would love to try and figure out the rational behind this installation.

The motor hung by strapping works, not right but works. There point of torque is at the wall end of the chain rail where it is normally fixed to the wall over the door. The motor drive transfers the torque/pressure down the rail to the fixed end. So in practice the motor really only needs stabilizing. Though strapping would go against all manufacture installation instructions that I can recall, usually calls for angle iron.

Quote Originally Posted by cory nystul View Post
    I am not sure if it would have taken more time to install the opener right, but it had to take some time to make this custom bracket. The opener was also found to be installed with just strapping materials.

funny.jpg
    It does bring up an innovative idea of how to incorporate the lift mechanism into one of the tracks and would make for a much more sightly installation. BTW I got the pun on instillation.
    Did it operate smoothly ?

Over the years, I've seen a dozen or so similar installations. If everything performs as intended, I don't see a problem.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Over the years, I've seen a dozen or so similar installations. If everything performs as intended, I don't see a problem.
    But it must not press the door to the ground as the traveling part of the lift mechanism is a pivot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil brody View Post
    But it must not press the door to the ground as the traveling part of the lift mechanism is a pivot point.
    I don't understand your comment.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I don't understand your comment.
    If you manually try to lift the door from the bottom it will have play upward.
    Also if the travel of the lifting mechanism is too far forward the emergency release may not work

Last edited by Phil brody; 01-06-2015 at 08:25 AM.

cory nystul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phil brody View Post
    If you manually try to lift the door from the bottom it will have play upward.
    Also if the travel of the lifting mechanism is too far forward the emergency release may not work
    Due to the design the auto recoil was not functional. It would have damaged the door or bracket or....

Below is the way the opener was attached to the ceiling.
    $tmppic.jpg