Thread: Double Wide

Default Double Wide

I have been called to inspect a double wide home. This will be my first time inspection this type. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to pay extra attention to?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Double Wide

I've always done them the same way I do any inspection, although you need to crawl through underneath looking for and at the tie downs and anchorage. There's info on the internet to help with that. While not necessary, I try to locate the HUD tag and explain to the buyer to never remove it.

Two years ago I was inspecting a mobile home. The listor was there. As I completed the inspection, the listor asked how often I inspected mobile homes. I said that I did about one a year. She said that she could tell. I asked her what she meant and she simply said that I looked at a lot of things that her regular inspector didn't bother with and took much longer. She didn't seem impressed with me but the buyer was satisfied.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

The manufactured homes I inspect are typically in a perpetual state of deferred maintenance.

Lots of common, recurring problems:

>Soft & damaged sub-floor (particleboard typically, which doesn't mix well with water)
    >Lots of moisture intrusion, and leaks
    >Water leaks at the windows, siding/cladding (which inevitably leads to sub-floor damage)
    >Polybutylene
    >Roof issues
    >Lots of "MacGyver" and misc. handyman repairs

The subfloor and structure are generally concealed by the "belly liner" or plastic floor insuation shield, except where wolverines or plumbers have chewed or hacked it away to make some barely functional repair. So check them from above with an awl (especially around the perimeter and wet areas, which basically is everywhere.)

The systems are the same ones you've seen before, but often the materials and components used are of lesser quality and don't stand the test of time.

Take your time, and check those floors carefully.

Dom.

When you go underneath, make sure to crawl the entire perimeter while looking up at sub floor and structure. Damage is common at any place along the edges and especially under windows and doors.

Check for rat poops on top of the water heater.

Try not to bonk your head on the spring shackles.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    When you go underneath, make sure to crawl the entire perimeter while looking up at sub floor and structure. Damage is common at any place along the edges and especially under windows and doors.
    In my experience, the floor bottom is so heavily insulated that it's difficult to see much of it.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Things to look for:
    *More that one layer of shingles, most MFH trusses are designed for one layer of shingle only.
    *Uneven/wavy roof.
    *Uneven joint at marriage seam between sections. Look close at center of floors and ceilings.
    *Typically there's no accessible attic space, make sure you state it in report.
    *Polybutylene water supply pipes.
    *Cheap composition wood siding, particle board subfloors. Many areas are prone to moisture damage.
    *Foundation tie-downs that secure the metal frame to foundation or ground.
    *Common for TPR valve and AC condensation drains to terminate in crawlspace.
    *Pest damaged flex duct on ground in crawlspace, usually it's for the return air.
    *Black underbelly covering below floors can conceal plumbing leaks. Carefully push up on areas that look bulged or hand down. These types of bulged areas are known as (water balloons), take precaution when probing.

Robert asks
    I have been called to inspect a double wide home. This will be my first time inspection this type. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to pay extra attention to?
    Robert, I see you are in Illinois. Here How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes.

It is approved by your state http://www.nachi.org/images2012/Stat...014-mobile.jpg

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by robert rahlfs View Post
    I have done many some loans require structural engineer report. A lot of realtors appreciate this info

because most loan officers wait till last minute for this request

Old 1970's Single Wide a couple weeks ago - Seller stated she just had the floor covering in the bathroom replaced 2 weeks prior to inspection. Apparently no one bothered to fix the damaged subfloor under the toilet. The insulative blanket under the toilet was sagging like a toddlers loaded diaper.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Always run the water in all sinks, toilets, tub/showers and kitchen appliances before looking underneath.

Robert - there are lots of items to be on the look-out for in manufactured homes. Lots of good info here from others who do inspections on MHs'
    Search on this site for - 'manufactured homes' , 'mobile homes', 'HUD' , etc because this has been brought up before by many other inspectors.

Robert, email us at fastreply@nachi.org and we'll give you free access to the online course.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Check for rat poops on top of the water heater.

Try not to bonk your head on the spring shackles.
    I agree. It is incredible how much more it hurts to bonk your head on steel than on wood! I have a head light riveted to a hard hat for these inspections. Cut the visor off the hard hat so you can see looking up at the belly pan, plumbing, etc.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Weekly View Post
    Robert - there are lots of items to be on the look-out for in manufactured homes. Lots of good info here from others who do inspections on MHs'
    Search on this site for - 'manufactured homes' , 'mobile homes', 'HUD' , etc because this has been brought up before by many other inspectors.
    - I didn't see anything mentioned about "Formaldehyde" - it's in the particle board sub-flooring, cabinets and paneling in many models and brandnames. When it comes to things like Formaldehyde, Polybutylene Plumbing, Knob and Tube Wiring, etc..., I usually add " you can GOOGLE "_______" and research it on your own, to help you make an informed decision on how you want to proceed with your transaction". It's a great, all-encompassing CYA sentence - IMO.

Formaldehyde | Technology Transfer Network Air Toxics Web site | US EPA

Do all manufactured homes contain formaldehyde?

Last edited by Jim Hintz; 01-13-2015 at 04:46 PM.