KatWestbrook Guest

Exclamation I thought the demolition process stopped when they did.

A few years ago I had a seizure that was followed by a botched surgery, severely impacted mobility, another surgery to correct it a year later, and, even though they said I may not walk again, I have, but the "remodel" that occurred while I was in the hospital has shifted my life entirely.
    There is a journey that was put into motion from a bad doctor, but the hell I live with and in has been prolonged by a contractor who took advantage of my grandmother (the property owner) and myself; I was not here to see what the heck was going on, but I came out of surgery and found my home destroyed, no way for me to get around in my wheelchair, and no handicap devices the bathroom- I had asked for the floor to be repaired and the shower door for safety-
    My bed, clothing (and I worked as a fashion stylist formerly so my collection paid th bills) were ruined- my furniture- but lets go on- the plumbing, the walls ripped out, the floors- no underlayment, a bath fan that is not connected, and the insects- oh, and the shifting of my home- and the laundry and the insects!!!!! And now, there is a white something or other on the beams, in my hair, on the surface of everything. The wiring is side by side with the plumbing- some new, some old; The house is always damp or wet.
    I joined this forum because it was not just my home that has been compromised, to say the least, by random breakouts of mosquitos in the dead of winter or fleas or feeling sick all the time-; I really had to change a lot of gears physically, mentally, and after not being able to walk, losing my business in order to redo er from that, I have had relationships affected, my general demeanor is so unhappy and all because I am so tired all the time from trying to fix this place that is sucking the life out of me. I am not in a position to move- not yet, and I do not know where to begin in order to just make my household run little easier, and not feel like my life is over.

Inspection Referral

Hi KatWestbrook and welcome to InspectionNews!

I hope you find everything you are looking for on this site.

If I can help you in any way just let me know.

If you are a business owner please accept this gift for making your first post: http://www.inspectionreferral.com

If you are a home buyer, seller or DIYer, this gift is for you: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home-i...als/member.php

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: I thought the demolition process stopped when they did.

In my opinion you should speak to a lawyer to see if you have cause to go after the contractor. Then go from there.

However if money is an issue to retain the services of a lawyer you are between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    In my opinion you should speak to a lawyer to see if you have cause to go after the contractor. Then go from there.

However if money is an issue to retain the services of a lawyer you are between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry to hear of your predicament.
    Ditto what Raymond said.

Even if money is an issue, go talk with an attorney - if the attorney thinks that you have a great case they may take your case on contingency (where you basically pay the attorney nothing unless and until you win).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

KatWestbrook Guest

Exclamation Re: I thought the demolition process stopped when they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ditto what Raymond said.

Even if money is an issue, go talk with an attorney - if the attorney thinks that you have a great case they may take your case on contingency (where you basically pay the attorney nothing unless and until you win).
    Thank you, gentlemen. If I had the energy I would... I will say, however, that this complete fashionista turned inspector savant has blown even my mind. I am very interested in becoming a home inspector but I have a design background in fashion. This ought to make a few heads turn in the industry.

Hey, this particular home inspector went from running a drapery workroom to inspecting homes, so there's no reason you can't get into the field too! I will say, though, that it helps if you're not afraid of spiders, snakes and other critters.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Hilary Goss Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KatWestbrook View Post
    A few years ago I had a seizure that was followed by a botched surgery, severely impacted mobility, another surgery to correct it a year later, and, even though they said I may not walk again, I have, but the "remodel" that occurred while I was in the hospital has shifted my life entirely.
    There is a journey that was put into motion from a bad doctor, but the hell I live with and in has been prolonged by a contractor who took advantage of my grandmother (the property owner) and myself; I was not here to see what the heck was going on, but I came out of surgery and found my home destroyed, no way for me to get around in my wheelchair, and no handicap devices the bathroom- I had asked for the floor to be repaired and the shower door for safety-
    My bed, clothing (and I worked as a fashion stylist formerly so my collection paid th bills) were ruined- my furniture- but lets go on- the plumbing, the walls ripped out, the floors- no underlayment, a bath fan that is not connected, and the insects- oh, and the shifting of my home- and the laundry and the insects!!!!! And now, there is a white something or other on the beams, in my hair, on the surface of everything. The wiring is side by side with the plumbing- some new, some old; The house is always damp or wet.
    I joined this forum because it was not just my home that has been compromised, to say the least, by random breakouts of mosquitos in the dead of winter or fleas or feeling sick all the time-; I really had to change a lot of gears physically, mentally, and after not being able to walk, losing my business in order to redo er from that, I have had relationships affected, my general demeanor is so unhappy and all because I am so tired all the time from trying to fix this place that is sucking the life out of me. I am not in a position to move- not yet, and I do not know where to begin in order to just make my household run little easier, and not feel like my life is over.
    Hello Kat,
    Keller Williams Realty has what is called a "Red Day". "Red Day" is when volunteers search out projects to do on homes, schools or other places that need help with paint, wheel chair ramps, plumbing, electrical work or other fix ups. Volunteer Realtors and Home Inspectors get together and do the work free of charge. Not only is the labor donated, so are the materials needed. The Realtors and Home Inspectors can accomplish much in one day. I would suggest to you that communication with them at this time would be just right. The "Red Day" is generally in early May. I am aware of this program as working with the Buyers Protection Group (BPG) Inspectors we have participated in this program for several years. Go to BPGWI.com and find your local inspection team and tell them you are hoping to be a recipient of the "Good Will" that "Red Day" is all about.