Default Aggregate in Perimeter Drainage Tile

I have run into multiple instances on brand new construction where the vertical drainage tile that extends up from the exterior footing tile, to a basement window well, has been filled with aggregate. I had assumed that the tile was unintentionally filled when they put aggregate in the bottom of the window well. However, when addressed with the builder on a recent inspection, he said that the vertical tile had been filled with aggregate on purpose. I understand that usually these tiles are surrounded with clean aggregate, but have never heard of them being filled with aggregate. Has anyone run into anything like this? Is there ever an instance when a tile might be intentionally filled with clean aggregate? Opinions? It seems like to me the rock would provide more surface area for silt, sand, and mud to cling to and have the potential to become clogged faster than it might have otherwise.

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Aggregate in Perimeter Drainage Tile

I have seen it done both ways, however in my view the best practice is to have a filter sock on the big-O tile. If the sock is on it there is no need to fill it with clear stone. As shown in your picture the big-O is prone to pull fines into the tile and ending up in the horizontal runs which in time can clog the weeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I have seen it done both ways, however in my view the best practice is to have a filter sock on the big-O tile. If the sock is on it there is no need to fill it with clear stone. As shown in your picture the big-O is prone to pull fines into the tile and ending up in the horizontal runs which in time can clog the weeper.
    What is the theory behind filling the inside of the tile full of clean stone? I understand the concept of installation within bed of clean stone, and or the idea of the sock, but not sure I follow the idea of filling the inside of the tile with stone. Does anyone know of any documentation that discusses this practice?

Thread drift warning ... (but about the same photo)

Shouldn't there be more space below that window, its frame and trim, to earth (the gravel fill) below the window?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I found this
    https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ctu-sc/fi...tu-n69_eng.pdf
    However either practice is mentioned in various articles. They likely put stone in because they did not have big-O with the filter sock, and the big-O should be perforated to allow the water to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Thread drift warning ... (but about the same photo)

Shouldn't there be more space below that window, its frame and trim, to earth (the gravel fill) below the window?
    Round these parts........there must be 6" between grade and bottom of siding or trim, but in window wells, that is widely ignored.

I don't see the drains filled with stone. They have plastic slotted covers. I would think that they could become easily clogged with stone in them.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Just a thought. Ever see how many frogs, mice and other critters end up in a window well? Rock in the draintile could be there to keep them out.