Default Houston, we have a problem

From yesterdays inspection. The seller said two other inspectors and the furnace tech missed this.
    After I showed him the photos and explained the extreme fire risk, he called for immediate repair. Of course it could have something to do with the 30 degree temp and me recommending for him not to use his heat until it was fixed.
    furnace vent.jpg

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Houston, we have a problem

Now that's scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    From yesterdays inspection. The seller said two other inspectors and the furnace tech missed this.
    After I showed him the photos and explained the extreme fire risk, he called for immediate repair. Of course it could have something to do with the 30 degree temp and me recommending for him not to use his heat until it was fixed.
    furnace vent.jpg

Jim,

How deep into the attic was it? I find a lot that way because the Inspector just won't walk an accessible attic! On my "Sample Report" page one such incident is right in the first picture. Sample Report Page For PS Inspection & Property Services LLC

Many Inspectors also won't crawl crawlspaces completely even when safely accessible, won't walk roofs even when safe and accessible, won't ........... So sad but many Inspectors just look for excuses to disclaim and move on!

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!
    www.psinspection.com
    Texas License# 7593

Good that the seller got this fixed. I'd suggest that, if you see similar issues in the future, you bring up the possibility of carbon monoxide entering the home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmanuelScanlan View Post
    Jim,

How deep into the attic was it? I find a lot that way because the Inspector just won't walk an accessible attic! On my "Sample Report" page one such incident is right in the first picture. Sample Report Page For PS Inspection & Property Services LLC

Many Inspectors also won't crawl crawlspaces completely even when safely accessible, won't walk roofs even when safe and accessible, won't ........... So sad but many Inspectors just look for excuses to disclaim and move on!
    Yes, a bit deeper in the attic. It looked fine from 3' away with it hidden behind the rafter. Only when I looked for the reason for the accompanying mold did I see the real issue.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Hilary Goss Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Yes, a bit deeper in the attic. It looked fine from 3' away with it hidden behind the rafter. Only when I looked for the reason for the accompanying mold did I see the real issue.
    When I see a roof has been upgraded requiring the vent stacks to be removed/replaced I look for the reconnection of the exhaust stacks into the vent stacks. The roofers sometime feel it is not their job to get that exhaust stack secured back in place. Good catch Jim.

Just another note on this: the vent stacks were a hodge-podge of different styles of vent materials dating to the original 1949 construction. Single wall, Transite, double wall pipe stuck into the original bonnet type roof stacks. If done properly when they upgraded to double wall on the furnace vent, the pipe should have gone through the roof with matching roof flashing, storm collar, and cap. This would not have been a problem if the vent pipe "system" would have been used as required by manufacturers instructions.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas